• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nucligator

Registered
Hey peeple

After a 2-year hiatus (spent working the Helpdesk[yuK] and then learning an Admin job) I am back to folding with 12 rigs for now, but I am running BOINC and folding for Rosetta.

The client seemed to be less difficult for me as I am not a coder. The last time I had programming was FortranIV and the first version of BASIC. I know, that makes me older than diRt.

Here is my question for you all (yeehaw, in Arkansaw). Am I really doing good for the old OC team by running BOINC?

another Q - will we ever get a F@H application that runs in BOINC?

chEErZ~~~~~~~~~~~

nUcLiGaToR

/me considers adding Rosetta and BOINC to swear filter in Folding forum. :D

cw823 said:
/me considers adding Rosetta and BOINC to swear filter in Folding forum. :D
DOOOO EEEEETTT!!! :D

Welcome to the forums man... From the little bit I've read about BIONIC, I wouldn't get your hopes up for f@h on it anytime soon :shrug:

Fold On! :attn:

my question -

so opine therefore.

Am I really helping the team by running that unmentionable piece of software that makes things easy for me?

I am putting up some big numbers in Ros.... I mean that project I cannot name because it is a bad word.

LOL

Rosetta and F@H use similar processes for different means.

You are surely helping out the Rosetta project a bunch... but lemme let you in on a secret... F@H is 10x easier to set up than BOINC.

TollhouseFrank said:
Rosetta and F@H use similar processes for different means.

You are surely helping out the Rosetta project a bunch... but lemme let you in on a secret... F@H is 10x easier to set up than BOINC.

two words

ONE CLICK

That's how easy FAH is. You do have to setup a config file, but it is very easy. FAH will run as a service in the background and you wont even know it is there.

OMG! F@H is the worst designed program I have ever seen. It doesnt work half the time and it cant handle network connections on its own like BOINC can and I cant ever get it to work.

maddog39 said:
OMG! F@H is the worst designed program I have ever seen. It doesnt work half the time and it cant handle network connections on its own like BOINC can and I cant ever get it to work.
I love fah, never had a single problem with it. BOINC, on the other hand, was just giving me some problems today.:mad:
I luv fah.

BACK FROM THE DEAD

ok, after a year and learning two more sysadmins, I am now folding again using the FAH client on as many rigs as possible at work (borgie, borgie) and at home.

My processor count is staying around 40 but should continue to climb slowly...

nucligator said:
ok, after a year and learning two more sysadmins, I am now folding again using the FAH client on as many rigs as possible at work (borgie, borgie) and at home.

My processor count is staying around 40 but should continue to climb slowly...

Excellent choice!

Good to know you've returned from the Dark Side...er...Rosetta project.

:welcome: to T32 (finally :D) :thup:

I have noticed you climbing the stats quickly and am glad to see you here :)

And :welcome: to OCF too!

:beer: :beer:

yeah, tried SMP for a while but it seemed like it was hangin up at some point. Rather than dedicate the time required to figger it out I just went back to running two instances on this machine.

Also got my oldest (EspiE) into folding on his mac and some other machines so he is doing it too...

workin toward the first million.........

perhaps when SMP has had some time to mature a bit more I will try again... or if I actually get to buy that dual quad-core I have been looking at I will have an even better reason!!!

Back