• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ubuntu 12.04 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DungeonLord

Registered
my sister is having problems with her laptop. its an hp-g72 and recently her windows 7 died and due to stupid cs at hp she didn't put windows back on it, instead opting for linux. she started out with ubuntu 11.10 and recently upgraded to 12.04 and now she has a problem she didn't have b4. she cannot make the !@#$%^&*()_+ signs. when she holds shift down and presses a number it opens a program from the left bar thingy. i haven't used this version of linux (i stopped at ubuntu10.10) so i have never had this problem. i have tried going in and disabling all the hotkeys/shortcuts but it still happens and its driving her crazy because she cannot log into stuff that requires e-mail addresses and its driving me crazy because i cant figure out whats doing it. on a side note if you hold shift down a help menu pops up.

ps the hp customer support said that her laptop wasn't powerful enough to run windows 7 32bit and that it would crash and keep crashing every time she put it on there.

If shift is opening menus, it is acting like alt. Does alt act like shift? Can you check the keyboard options to make sure something didn't get switched?

I don't have Ubuntu to try it out on.

If shift is opening menus, it is acting like alt. Does alt act like shift? Can you check the keyboard options to make sure something didn't get switched?

I don't have Ubuntu to try it out on.

she found it.... was something in compiz doing it

Odd, what was the option? This could happen for others in the future, so having the answer posted here may help someone out.

Back