• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB short and no post?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

It's an older board running a p4 3.2 and have had no probs at all. I was reorganizing the office and attempted to plug in a usb printer to an usb hub and it sparked! I've never had this happen before. then I noticed that all usb appliances ceased to function, and I couldn't wake the machine from standby, so I shut it down, replaced the usb keyboard/mouse with the old ps2 version and attempted to reboot. The asus voice says something about the "system not intact" and that's where it stops. I get no post screens or anything, just a mumbled error message.
Anyone had this issue before? and any trouble shoot suggestions or should I figure this one fried?
But really, sparks out of a usb hub? and there were several other items plugged in so it wasn't like I hadn't used it before.

Help.

Time for an upgrade?:bang head

Edit: mb is an Asus P4c800dlx

Last edited:
maybe try clearing cmos and pull battery for a hour or so see if it boots pull one stick of ram kind of a shot in the dark hope this helps
Rich

OK. Tried that to no avail. Any other suggestions? and what could cause this? Now I'm sacred to plug the printer into any other computer.
Secondly, what are the odds the cpu, ram, etc. are Ok and I could get away with a mobo switch off. They've been discontinued but can probably find one online. I'm open to suggestions here!

Well, I checked the printer and it starts up and runs though I still haven't got the balls to plug it into the laptop, I don't think I could handle another meltdown right now.

So the boards shorted out. No post, the bios post message says something like "system not intact" but nothing on screen, no post, no bios, nothing.

I've located a couple of the exact boards on ebay and want to swap out the mobo. Everything should pick up and run like yesterday as all hardware would be identical. My question is do you think the CPU and RAM are undamaged? Or, is there a way to check? I don't have any of the 478 boards left on any of my other configurations so no way to check hardware unless someone has a suggestion.
If I have to upgrade mobo, cpu, and ram, I'll likely go Dell or something after Christmas when the prices drop and just buy a new box as that will be cheaper. This was my network server, back up server and wife's computer, nothing graphical or intensive, just a beast of burden.
Well guys, depends on what you think, is the CPU and RAM salvageable? My guess is the short traveled in over the usb network and fried the southbridge. I just hope the damage stopped there. When it is powered up all the cover lights, cd,dvd, hd, all flash in sequence before the mumbling error message (which tells me the onboard sound chips are working as well).

Bump.

OK, odds on cpu, ram and gpu (PNY 6800ultra agp) intact?

My logic is that the short ran over the 5v (usb) rails and shouldn't have hit the 12v gpu and cpu. Make sense?

The same thing happened to me many moons ago. Luckily Asus boards have a fault protection that usually damages the motherboard during a "spark, shock, static" incident and protects the rest of your hardware. In other words, the mobo takes the sword in the stomach and protecs the ram, cpu, gpu, etc. To me, it sounds like only your motherboard is damaged and not the rest of your hardware. I give you that answer with 95% certainty.

Regards,

Just an update. the transplant was successful! I located a p4c800e dlx and swapped them out. Once I configured the boot drives, windows popped up and loaded no prob. I had one bsod on initial boot but after that, no issues....except one.
I can't get the onboard sound to come up. I've tried everything, and when I try to load drivers I get an error message stating drivers not found. the drivers came off the ASUS website. Any suggestions?
I also had to reseat my SATA raid card before it would take, but that's it. In fact cobian's running now doing a full network back up. Cool.

A fine end to an otherwise total catastrophe!

Back