• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 faulty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebaz

Registered
I received this motherboard less than a week ago. About half the times or more that I want to enter the BIOS pressing DEL I get this tiny green vertical rectangle with a red dot inside of it that flashes and nothing else happens. Other times, the rectangle doesn't come up, but after it shows the list of HDs connected to the SATA controller it continues to the OS, no BIOS.

I've tried everything, pressing DEL at different times, sometimes as soon as the first screen shows up (I don't use the fancy low resolution picture that looks like the box, just the regular one), sometimes I wait until the total RAM shows up, sometimes tapping the DEL key several times, but it's all a matter of luck. I know that if it shows "Preparing to enter setup" at the bottom, then I'm in luck, but half or more the times I hit DEL it won't go into the BIOS, and since I'm trying different things to overclock it, it has become really annoying. Note that this was happening even before I started trying to overclock, so I don't think it's related to that at all.

I tried another keyboard, but it's the same thing. I don't have a PS/2 keyboard to try, but I shouldn't have to use an ancient connector to get in the BIOS, after all this hasn't happened to me with any other motherboard I've ever had.

I also tried flashing the BIOS to the F2 revision, but the same thing kept happening, with the same regularity.

So I'm wondering if this motherboard is faulty and I should return it, but that is a horrible prospect because then I would have to waste money sending it back, a lot of time assembling my old motherboard, reinstalling the OS, etc, and then waste a lot of time again when I get the new one. I will do that if I have no choice, but is this bug normal on this board, or other Gigabyte boards at least? I mean, is it a design bug, or a sign that my particular board is faulty?

Attachments

• Annoying rectangle.JPG
    Annoying rectangle.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 478
What are the rest of your system spec's, including CPU, video card (and the PCI-E x16 slot it's installed to), RAM (and the DIMM slots they're installed to), etc. And besides the 24-pin ATX connector, do you also have the 8-pin AUX12V connected to the PSU?

What are the rest of your system spec's, including CPU, video card (and the PCI-E x16 slot it's installed to), RAM (and the DIMM slots they're installed to), etc. And besides the 24-pin ATX connector, do you also have the 8-pin AUX12V connected to the PSU?

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T
RAM: G.Skill F3-10666CL90-16GBRL (16 GB taking all four available slots, and I already tried taking them out and putting them back making sure that they are properly inserted)
Video card: HIS Radeon 4850 1 GB installed to the PCIEX16_1 slot
Tuner card: Avermedia A188 on PCIEX8 SLOT
PSU: Corsair TX850WT

And yes, the AUX12V connector is also connected to the motherboard.

Man, that's weird! Never seen or heard of that before. Does your delete key work reliably at other times?

There seem to be a lot of problems with the new AMD chipset boards. Is it just that the technology is just not mature yet?

Back