• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Machines for prospective buyers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nihilus

Thought I would start a thread about what would be the solution
for someone in the market to buy a new pc, with some folding love
of course! :cool:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...jcURaSmc3aWR2cEE&hl=en&authkey=CL-21NYP#gid=0

Looking for what would be the best rig for ppd/watt and ppd/$
Using newegg for price
Tom's Hardware for power consumption

*edit
alright to keep continuity, to calculate Nehalem CPU ppd, use the following formula: (1350)(speed in GHz)(# of physical cores) This is at 100 percent of course.

1350 is the constant which was based off of "good" -bigadv work units.

example for my xeon 3440 (1350)(3.7)(4) = 19980 ppd
anybody with a 2686 wu, please check if this is close to they get

Last edited:
I wonder if that would be able to complete -bigadv's in time to get bonus points? The shared ram could also be a handicap. It'll be interesting to see if a single cpu rig (with bargain parts) can match the ppd per dollar amount. No time to do the math now, I'll check it out later.

I wonder if that would be able to complete -bigadv's in time to get bonus points? The shared ram could also be a handicap. It'll be interesting to see if a single cpu rig (with bargain parts) can match the ppd per dollar amount. No time to do the math now, I'll check it out later.

Using my recipe I can do three folders for that price and hit 75K ppd with just a mild overclock of 3.6ghz, drop a little more money on good coolers for each hit 4.0ghz and you can do around 90K ppd or more

Form modules will always have better ppd/$, but there are alot of us
that don't want that monstrosity in our house. I was looking for
usable computers with a good OS and HDD.

sfu - any way you can get a ppd/w calculation?

I can but it will take me a couple days, I need to pick up a wattmeter first.

I am not suggesting everyone build the monstrosity that I did, I was just pointing out that for the money you could do better on PPD. It is not for everyone and I realize that. I just don't like having all my points in one basket versus multiple. I was just merely commenting if you are trying to produce the most points per dollar spent it maybe a better option.

Trust me I absolutely know how ridiculous what I have built is and will eventually become. :screwy:

Yeah we're all a little crazy :D, but I definitely wouldn't sway people from building your setup - these things are making most of the team's points! :thup:

Don't waste your money, sfu, a few of these 'farmers' have to have wattmeters,
though I never heard of anybody having one personally.

Just wanted to stick with apples to apples - so leave your super-watermelons
out of my thread! :p

So is the dual 5620 setup still looking like the best pdd/watt and physical footprint? Im in the planning stages of a media storage server and since I have the other hardware Im considering what to use for the backbone of the server and if I can get some good PPD out of it too then its a win/win for only adding one computer to my network.

@ pica4chu: yeah this setup seems to have a good balance between PPD/w and ppd/$. If the i7 970 6 core would drop, that would probably be better. Not sure why its $900 yet! If size is not an issue, then the supermicro boards may be a better choice with the extra pci-e slots.

@harlem: checked out the old thread. The info on that one is pretty old, but the basis is good. Ill try and muster up an excel spreadsheet that can be continuously added and edited as hardware prices and availability change. Bare with me, though, I don't have much experience with this kind of thing. :eh?:

Last edited:
Thought I would start a thread about what would be the solution
for someone in the market to buy a new pc, with some folding love
of course! :cool:

Give me a day or two, I literally just got some new gear in that should be epic in terms of ppd/w as well as ppd/$. Once I get it setup and validated, plus run a WU, I can post more info. :D :D :D

Seems like the xeons don't come with a heatsink fan. Since it's a server mb, overclocking isn't gonna be that great so I wouldn't spend too much. Good luck on your new setup Jmtyra!

Well I'm back...apparently luck doesn't like me today, as I can't get this board to even post. Resolved the heat sink issue, though! :)

When/If I ever get this rig up and running, I'll post back with ppd/w and ppd/$ and all that. :D

@Nihilus: Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get. ;)

Great idea guys, for newbies like me this really gives us an idea what we can get.

Also once a few machines are picked out a will do a canadian lookup on this stuff. Newegg is in Canada... but it ain't as cheap as some canadian e-tailers... yeah we get hosed.

Well it looks like the board didn't come with the latest BIOS that supports the E5600 series Xeons, so I'll have to do some more work before I can get these numbers posted. :(

@Nihilus: Sorry for the delay, but I'll keep you posted once I get everything working.

Edit: Just sent off an email to the mfg; they are offering free physical BIOS replacements w/free S&H for anyone with this issue. :thup:
Given it's a holiday today, I don't expect a reply back until tomorrow, and then I won't be back home till Friday/Saturday :(

Last edited:
Well it looks like the board didn't come with the latest BIOS that supports the E5600 series Xeons, so I'll have to do some more work before I can get these numbers posted. :(

@Nihilus: Sorry for the delay, but I'll keep you posted once I get everything working.

Edit: Just sent off an email to the mfg; they are offering free physical BIOS replacements w/free S&H for anyone with this issue. :thup:
Given it's a holiday today, I don't expect a reply back until tomorrow, and then I won't be back home till Friday/Saturday :(

I saw a couple of reviews on newegg regarding this. Seems they labeled the board as supporting the 56xx and 54xx xeons but its with the current BIOS only. So since the board technically says it supports them Asus is giving out bios update chips to everyone that needs them. Since the only other way would be to install a supported xeon, then flash, then put in the right ones and obviously that isnt very practical for the average person lol.

Back