• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X-E Deluxe & XP 2500 OCing Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drak

Registered
Alright so I have a bit of a problem while trying to OC my new rig. I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe using bios v 1008, and it seems as though my AMD XP 2500 won’t overclock beyond 2.2 GHz or 11x200. It won’t accept any multiplier above 11x, but it will accept any multiplier at or lower then 11x. I even tried lowering the multiplier to somewhere around 7x and then I gradually increased the CPU external frequency from 200 MHz to 230 MHz or 460fsb. The system would boot on 7x – 9x CPU multiplier timings however, when this was done this system wouldn’t boot at the 10x multiple. I am assuming that it is, because those settings yielded 2.3 GHz CPU clock.

My system configuration is:
AMD XP Barton 2500 w/ Stepping codes AXDA2500KV4D,
AQXEA 0326MPM
Raidmax 420w psu
Asus A7N8X-E deluxe mobo w/ v. 1008 bios
1.0 GB (2x512mb) of Kingston DDR 400 or PC3200 memory in dimm slots 1 & 3 in dual channel mode
Asus V9570TD Geforce FX 5700 256mb video card
SoundBlaster Audigy w/ 1394

As far as heat is concerned in the system I am using a Swiftech MCX462-V heatsink with acrylic silver 5 and a vantec tornado 92mm 5000 rpm fan. I have 2 80mm intake fans in front 1 80mm side intake fan and 2 80mm vent fans in back. I also have one 5.25 bay vent fan in front. So, overclocked to an XP 3200+ my system runs 38c at idle and 41c under load.

For bios settings under advanced chipset features everything is set to manual. Memory frequency is at 100% sync with FSB w/ 5, 3, 3, 2.5 as timings. Both FSB and AGP spread spectrum has been disabled. My CPU v-core is set to 1.725. AGP frequency is set to 66mhz. Both AGP and DDR voltages are set to default. One option I have noticed that may be the cause of the problem is under advanced chipset features there is an option for CPU Interface. This is the only one set to optimal and the manual says this allows for overclocked CPU/FSB parameters. However, it is grayed out and I can’t figure out how to access the sub menu option. If anyone with a A7N8X-E who knows how to access this would be a great help. Well I hope this is enough info to get started and everybody thanks for looking.

Drak

well your CPU is locked down on the multi and there is really no way to unlock them now all AMD XP's come superlocked so to get around this people have ben getting AMD athlon mobile XP's processer and have had very good OC with them

Actually, Rpkole, that CPU isn't locked ... they didn't start locking the multi's until after week 39, and if you look at the stepping, he has a week 26 chip.

Sorry I can't help you with the actual mobo problem, Drak. From what I hear, it's a bit harder to OC on an ASUS, but I haven't actually used one so I can't speak from any personal experience or give any really good advice. However, with that vcore, you may want to start raising it slowly until you're at 1.8 to 1.9 and watch your temps. If your temps are staying below 45 - 50C under load with the higher vcore, that may help stabilize your chip and let you overclock further.

may be u have a crapy 2500+
try those setting
set fsb to 200 ,memory BY SPD ,memery timing to user define: memory timing to 11,4,4,3T
fsbpeedpec :desabled
agpspeedspec:desabled
agpfreg:66mhz
vcore to :1.7v
all ather to default setting
if it not work bump a bit a vcore and try again
watch your temp and post result

Rpkole said:
OOps still dont know who to read what week it si :p still learning

That's ok. :D If you look in the second line of the stepping, you'll see a part with the numbers 0326 in them ... that's week 26 of the year 2003. :)

I was able hit 2.4 on air but heat was my biggest concern.

The only way I was able to hit 2.4 was to use Clock Gen(CG-NVNF2). 1.7volts Vcore, 2.7 volt on the memory using Nvidia system utility.

My GPU crashed some to so you have to up the volts to 1.6. and go ahead an d move this up to 70mhz. We both have similair setups for the most part.

Makaka, Memory timings sounds about right. He should get 5:6 ratio.

If you still have the retail HS and thermal pad, get rid of it and upgrade to something better. I have found the retail stuff was holding me back. Now I can hit higher speeds.

He has a Swiftech MCX462-V with a 92mm Tornado...

Ok, this is my oc routine:

1) Burn-in for 48 hours by running Prime95 at stock speeds with highest voltage I am comfortable with (you have a Tornado, I suspect it would be 1.85-1.9V).

2) Relax memory timings, usually to 3-4-4-8. Then I max out Vdimm as much as I can (I think it is 2.8V for your board also).

3) Set to a nice low multiplier like 10x (leave voltage at 1.85-1.9V). Up the FSB 5MHz at a time first. When you reach 200MHz without incident, start going up in 2-3MHz intervals. When it doesn't boot, reset the CMOS or whatever else to make it boot.

4) When you think you've reached your maximum oc, run Prime95 for 24 hours to check for stability.

5) Then you can start scaling back on the Vcore and Vdimm and start tightening timings. Find the best combination of tight timings, low Vcore and Vdimm as possible.

Or maybe you possibly got a horrible A7N8X-E. I heard they were horrid oc'ers.

The problem with the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe is, in the BIOS, in Advanced Chipset Features, you have to try and change "CPU Interface" from Optimal to Aggressive or User Define. So, you may need to download and Install a mod bios version.
The Mobile 2500+ is becomes locked with this mobo. You can only get a max of 11 x 200. And that's if you are lucky.

Here is a page with mod bios versions.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.mcclay/

Man, the best overclocking mobo is the Abit AN7, but limited to 2gig of PC3200, and 3gig of PC2700.

Back