• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woodzy

My stock settings for my CPU are 200Mhz x13 With auto voltage

On my old motherboard ASUS M2N32 SLI DELUXE i managed to get my CPU upto 231Mhz x13 which was very stable.

i have been trying to overclock on my ASUS Crosshair II motherboard and i cant get my CPU past 210Mhz x13

Any ideas?

I tried 230 x 13 On my crosshair and it blue screened,

i also tried 200 x 15 both = around 3000mhz but that also blue screened

Idle Temps + Load Temps

Attachments

• Load Temp.JPG
    Load Temp.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,181
  • Idle temp.JPG
    Idle temp.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,193
I wouldn't expect 3.0 GHz at 1.30 vCore. Increase vCore to 1.35 minimum and maybe as high as 1.45v.
It took 1.3625v for me on a very good board - yours will probably need a little more than that.

Did you manually set vDIMM and RAM timings to their stock 1066 values?
Did you adjust the RAM down to DDR2-800 speeds?
Did you reduce the cpuNB to 9X?
Did you increase the cpuNB voltage (not chipset) to 1.20-1.25v?
Did you reduce the HT Link multiplier to 6X?

Lots of extras you need to look at on the new board ... :)

I tried to increase the Vcore i put it to 1.4v.

Yes i set the RAM timings myself i just put them straight to 1066Mhz

i will try tweaking what you said see how it gets on.

i tried increasing to 1.4v but in CPU-Z it only shows up as 1.3
so i tried 1.45 and still in CPU-Z it hasnt moved from 1.3v

HT Link was at 2009Mhz
I reduced the CPUNB to x9
My HT Link then was 1808Mhz

I have 1.4v but only shows as 1.3 in CPU-Z
my CPU is running at 235Mhz With multiplier at x13 so its running at around 3046Mhz

but my HT Link is now at 2109Mhz

Ran Prime95 for 10mins now and all good so far if all runs smooth for a bit longer i will try BS at 240Mhz Multiplier x13 should run at around 3100Mhz

Load temp has not gone over 52°C
Idle is around 40°C

Last edited:
The only problem is i can overclock when my ram is set to 800Mhz

But as soon as i set my timing to 1066Mhz i cant overclock the CPU at all

The only problem is i can overclock when my ram is set to 800Mhz

But as soon as i set my timing to 1066Mhz i cant overclock the CPU at all
That's because you're increasing RAM speed when you increase the clock. At 235 on the clock your RAM is running 940 (470 MHz per CPU-Z). If you were still using the 1066 setting your RAM would be running at over 1250 (625+ MHz) ...

Even if my RAM timing are set to 1066mhz it will still increase with the CPU clock?

with the ram running at 1066mhz the only way i can get my system stable is if i do not up the cpu clock but just increase the multiplier to x15 with stock cpu clock at 200mhz

Yes - RAM speed will change with the reference clock.

Right! Because you're not increasing the speed of the reference clock when you just use the CPU multiplier. The reference clock not only increases CPU speed, it also increases RAM speed, cpuNB speed, and HT Link speed. That's why I asked what settings you were using for the other multipliers - because it ALL gets faster when you increase the reference clock.

I know a LOT of BIOS's call it "CPU frequency", "CPU clock", or some other such nonsense but the reference clock is the metronome, the drum-beat, for the entire system. The only thing it doesn't change (on modern systems) is PCI and PCIe speeds. On older systems even those speeds changed with it ...

I only have options to change the CPU multiplier and the CPUNB multiplier i tried lowering the CPUNB multiplier when i was increasing the reference clock so i dont think it was that stopping it.

That's because you're increasing RAM speed when you increase the clock. At 235 on the clock your RAM is running 940 (470 MHz per CPU-Z). If you were still using the 1066 setting your RAM would be running at over 1250 (625+ MHz) ...

Maybe it was the RAM should i try putting the voltage up on the RAM (Stock is) to see if it will make it stable or is there anything else i can do? My RAM speed has increased by a little with the multiplier but not a noticeable amount.

When i reduced the CPUNB my HT link speed went down.
How can i find out what speed my CPUNB is running at?

Or is it all not possible to be stable with the reference clock being increased that much should i split it maybe up the reference clock a bit but also up the multiplier?

The best thing to do with the RAM is decrease the setting in BIOS to 800 and concentrate on the CPU over-clock. It would take a huge hit in RAM performance to make up for 100 MHz of CPU speed.

cpuNB speed can be found in the upper right of the CPU-Z memory page.

Here's the settings I used for one of my 9950BE OCs but each system is different so you'll still have to experiment: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=503678

You'll notice my RAM running 445 MHz (DDR2-890) but it's at CAS 4, which means there's less delay for each memory hit. This is actually a bit faster than DDR2-1066 at CAS 5 for most programs. Some programs move around huge chunks of memory - large video encoding, large Photoshop files, large CAD files - so that arrangement would be slightly slower for them but 95% of the programs out there move a lot of small files. For them DDR2-870 CAS 4 is about the same as DDR2-1066 CAS 5 ...

If i do decrease my ram down to 800Mhz then up my reference clock and get it as high and as stable as i can, what if my ram is not hitting its full 1066mhz would there then be a way of getting it to that speed?

thanks for your help.

No - but I'd try running them at CAS 4 instead of CAS 5 - then the speed won't matter as much. Some DDR2-1066CL5 modules will run 900+ @ CAS 4 and some won't, you'll just have to experiment.

The other option is to just use the CPU multiplier for OC'ing. Of course, you'll miss some CPU speed that way because you're limited to 100 MHz increments ... :shrug:

3GHz on that board?

Have you actually tried moving just the CPU multi up yet? Do it that way, it's easy to do.

Sure Agena clocks bad but not that bad on good later boards. You have a top quality board for Agena clocking. Agena only clocked like junk on the crap early boards. 3GHz Should be easy stable ~1.35-1.45v. Both my 9850s were 1.33-1.35v 3.10GHz stable on SB750 boards.

Don't mess around with NB clock at the same time as CPU, that will just confuse you. Keep NB/RAM low, finish with finding the CPUs limits first and then move onto the RAM/NB. NB+RAM tweaking is really tricky. Agenas didn't like much NB clock, most guys were stuck 2.15-2.25GHz at the very end.

Its at 200Mhz with x15.5 multiplier 1.425v but temps are quite high under load 52-54°C i think the max for my CPU is 61°C which is quite close!

Back