• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with setup of my new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

puji

Hi everybody.
After a few years I am getting a new rig again. And as usual I got all the right information from this forum. My question is a little of CPU topic, but in this forum is most of the how to do it right guys, so I post my question here too:
I ran into a problem with installing the XFX 8800GT and corsair HX520 modular PSU. It looks like the card needs a 6pin PSU cable. Corsair has a 24, 8 and 4 pin power cable. The 24 and 8 go to the IP 35 pro. So only the 4 pin is left. In the totally inadequate instruction for the XFX it says not to use a 4 to 6 pin adapter. Any advice is appreciated.

puji

I think it should have two PCIE leads, one at the least... I don't really know what to tell you.

you should have two 6 pin plugs under your five sata/ata plugs on the psu. Use one of the 6 pin plugs that came with your psu and plug it in.

Your psu should have 2 plugs for 6 pin pcie plugs and 2 cables for them. If not you need the cables.

edit. beat Stratus with the quickness lol.

Thx for the fast reply, I found the cable, It has an addtional 2 plug on it which confused me. The card is running now but no video signal. I use a supplied adapter for my 22 inch CRT monitor (I love).Any guess what could be wrong?

puji

got onboard video? If you do plug the crt into the onboard and switch over to your pci express slot. mines listed at peg in bios. Then plug it in.

If your crt has a DVI plug then you dont need a adapter but all the crt's i seen have vga's so you need to use the dvi to vga dongle that came with your card.

I have an old PCI card which I used to see wether I installed everything ok. It works with that card. I will go in the Bios and see how the set up is
And yes I have to use the VGA DVI adapter which was supplied.

puji

pull your pci card out and it should go over to the 8800gt. if not switch the grapics to the pci express slot "peg on my mobo" from the pci slot and enjoy the new card.

Thx for all the help. Yes it was my PCI card the boot sequence was PCI first, changed it to PCi exp. that did it. Pulling the card would have done it too.
Now I can test that baby .So far Q6600 stock voltage 3.0 at 25C no load. It looks promising.Thx again

puji

Back