• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

z77 mobo choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
I have been researching for the purpose of a new z77 mobo purchase.

What I havent found is a direct comparison between the major brands as far as system bench's. What I would like to know is if there is any major difference in superpi, wprime or ucbench performance that is tied to a manufacturer. on the p67 platform the gigabyte boards seemed to dominate 3d01 for a while at the start, I know that asus did catch up but took them awhile to do so.

as far as performance is concerned, what is the best choice mobo right now. The question should be recieved as what a bencher would want, as I dont game much at all.

I am fairly dissapointed with Asus's offerings as they are generally the most expensive at a given level of board, they also dont come with the usb3.0 breakout box, and for the most part dont have onboard switches. Not that these are deal breakers, but at the price level it seems they are scrubbing us for the most dollars without any concern for what we recieve i the way of value

I havent seen any comparisons like that either. We should be getting some Z77 boards to review here soon (already have two, Biostar Z77 from Bobnova, and Asrock Fatality from me post IB release).

I have been looking forward to his review of the biostar, will also look forward to your review.
just getting itchy to get something on the way, but dont want to choose a junk board. also dont want to pay extra for asus just to give them more of my money than other mfg's that may be the equal performance wise. And I am sure the others will be far superior to asus on the customer service end if ever needed.
In the end I am even considering the biostar, as it seems to have everything one could want

BobN reviewed the Fatality already (@ Funky) and its seemingly pretty solid. Ive got a 2600k in it, and booted straight to 5.2Ghz stable on a chip I never touched (I mean thats easy, but....) For as inexpensive as it is, I dont think you can go wrong with it. If it doesnt have enough features, throw it on here and grab a better board. :)

I should be getting the Maximus V Gene to review eventually but it hasn't shown up yet. I'm looking forward to the Maximus V Formula later on (June'ish from rumors I saw a while ago).

AFAIK it's a no-go. They might be planning to leave the Extreme only to the high-end (X79) platform with this generation. Similar to the fact that they're not releasing the Rampage IV Formula in the US, I think it may go the same way with the Extreme. That's not 100% confirmed but is just what I've gathered from tidbits here and there.

I know they did the Rampage Extreme for 1366 and 2011 high end platforms, but they did bring out a Maximus Extreme for P67 and Z68, so I thought it would make sense to see a Maximus Extreme for the Z77?

That's what I am waiting to see is if they plan a MVE release. Although I would hate for it to finally come out and by then the IB chips are all low(er)-leakage and don't OC as well under cold [or something like that]. Maybe Gigabyte will have a nice UD7/UD9/-OC setup.

For now the Asrock Pro (Fatal1ty) board looks like the best of the bunch, the Asrock Extreme9 should be a good powerhouse as well.

I wonder how many features my MIVE will be missing with an IB CPU installed.

Good question, I think we should not discard P67/Z68 boards just yet, other that native USB 3.0 and PCie 3.0 I'm not sure the z77 boards are just going to bring us the magic in a box.

But I love magic in a box!

More seriously, the Z77 pro looks very good.
The Extreme6 is as good other than an odd memory compatibility issue I'm having.
The Biostar blows both away in maxxmem (like, by 150-200 points), but isn't inclined to use high multis on my SB for some odd reason or another.

+1... That is the big question as I have one of those laying around (MIVE). Speaking of, I better RMA that for a B3 for the hell of it...

great thoughts in many ways, thanks guys.

keep thoughts coming

The Biostar blows both away in maxxmem (like, by 150-200 points), but isn't inclined to use high multis on my SB for some odd reason or another.

Maxxmem is really bad to compare performance as even windows updates can give +/- 500mb/s.

I can only say that M5G has probably best options for memory tweaking that I saw so far. Also there are options like memory performance levels ( don't know how much it gives ), "extreme tweaking" - better 3DM01 scores ( maybe some other benchmarks too ), or more memory multis like for 2400 on SB or up to 3000 for IB. I just saw somewhere that 3000 multi is not working with latest BIOS ( no IB to test that ). Don't forget about rog connect that can be handy for some benchmarks or max clocks.

Last edited:
Oh yes it's terrible, heh.
Both boards got fresh installs with all their drivers and no windows updates and were tested before installing any benchmarks in an effort to keep things even. There were a couple other benchmarks that the biostar won in the overclocked testing despite being ~100mhz slower.
It won maxxmem by a bunch even with significantly lower CPU clocks.

I'm probably going to keep it and the professional and wait for IB to launch/get here, and then figure out what to actually keep.

I'm not saying that your tests were bad. I was just testing a lot with maxxmem and results are sometimes weird so hard to compare it ;) AIDA64 is better for memory tests.

AIDA64 and I don't get along well. I'd like it to sum things up into a single number like maxxmem does.
I do understand what you're getting at, don't worry :D

Back