• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k6 2 question..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drec

i just got back from the thrift store picked up a system..had no clue what it was but for $20 i couldent pass it up. cpuz says its a k6-2, 500MHz..running at 3volts..i thought cpuz was misreading but the cpu database on overclockers.com shows everyone running them with 2-3Vs the heatsink on this thing is smaller then the heatsink on my NB for crying out loud and its got like a 40mm fan...

how is this thing not putting out more heat then my athlon xp?

Also, I think you have read the core voltage incorrectly. A K6-2 500 should have core voltage at either 2.2 or 2.4 stock. If you remove the heatsink, the default core voltage is stamped on the cap, along with the speed.
I've seen them survive at 2.8 volts.

.25 micron process is why it doesn't put out that much heat with thatg much voltage. I'm sure CPU-Z is missreading though. K6-2's don't like much more than 2.7v and then you need to beef up the cooling or they won't survive. 2.2 or 2.4 is the stock voltage.

I didn't notice that you were using CPU-Z the first time I read your post (I read it too quickly). I'm pretty certain it isn't reading the core voltage correctly. It probably isn't able to with hardware that old. Core voltage being set with jumpers rather than in the CMOS settings may be why.

But Intel P55 (such as the 233 MMX) had 2.8 Vcore, and ran quite cool. It isn't unusual to find these CPUs passively cooled from the factory. Take a look at the specs here, http://www.sandpile.org/impl/p55.htm

They are all 3.3 In/Out voltage, the core voltage is written on the IHS as well, it will be either 2.2 or 2.4, just run it at 2.4 and it will work fine.

Back