• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions on the Barton multi-lock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dnp

Registered
OK I've been reading up my choices regarding good value cpu's (trying to build a cheap but powerful system, mainly for gaming and map compiling). There are still a few questions I have not found clear answers to however:

1.) If it is still easy to turn a 'superlocked' Barton 2500 into a 3200 with the fsb, why have AMD only locked the multi?

2.) Regarding this article: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/guides/unlockbartonwk43/unlockbartonwk43-1.htm does it actually work with no (known) disadvantages? If so, what is the advantage of buying a mobile athlon if you can unlock the regular ones?

3.) Where can I get a mobile Barton 2500? (prefereable a uk site).

1. You can't mod the bridges for a stock 200MHz FSB (200x11 = 3200+)
2. The only two disadvantages to this method are a) that you can't use NF2 motherboard and still be able to change multipliers on the fly.
b) You still have a certain multiplier you must be able to boot off, on the new bartons it isn't really an issue as the x11 is low enough for pretty much any FSB you can through at it.

3. Sorry, but I can't help you out on that one. I know www.newegg.com has them but they don't ship internationaly :(

k

The only two disadvantages to this method are a) that you can't use NF2 motherboard and still be able to change multipliers on the fly.
b) You still have a certain multiplier you must be able to boot off, on the new bartons it isn't really an issue as the x11 is low enough for pretty much any FSB you can through at it.

Does that actually rule out using an nf2? Is it necessary to change the multi on the fly on increase it?

Another question: Old bartons are unlocked, but new ones are more recent and so they may oc better anyway. Say I had fast ram and a board with a pci/agp lock, could the newer barton in fact be capable of higher speeds than the old, unlocked one, just by increasing fsb?

Thanks for your info so far...

Back