• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ducting for reducing noise, increasing cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hungry Jack

Registered
Has anyone tried this? I'd be curious to find out if this is just a gimmick or it actually works. I haven't seen any mention of it in any forum and can't find it by searching. Which leads me to believe it's either a gimmick or nobody has heard of it.

http://www.pccasegear.com/prod759.htm

The prices are Australian. I just chose this site as it gives a good overview of the product. But at $13 AUD, that'd be like $5-7 USD. If it does all it claims, then it's a pretty damn good investment.

I don't like that ducting mod, and it has been mentioned before. I see a loss of airflow/static pressure due to that bend and I don't see how it will make your fan quieter. "Thermaltake ducting mod" was one of the earlier threads. You'd be better off using a straight shroud.

Nismo said:
i believe that this does work since it directs the airflow to the heatsink.

It doesdirect the airflow to the HS, but it bends. I personally don't think it will do any good, but then again, I don't have the money to get it and actually try it out. I also don't have to patience to try to get that thing mounted on an SLK-800.

Honestly, I have to agree with nerdlogic. It will get rid of the deadspot, but it will also probably slow down the air. Seems like a waste to me, but if you still want to get it; go ahead. I just think it won't improve temps any.

link doesn't work, and does everything relate to a britney in some way, shape, or form?

It would get rid of deadspot... Good observation there, and it would slow up airflow, but you could just put a powerful fan on there to sure that, couldnt you? Acts like a shroud.

I can honestly say that this DOES work. It also DOES reduce air current, but not by much. It also reduces noise slightly (enough to say "huh, ok"). And it DOES reduce your temps significantly. Back when i was running a 2100+ at nearly 2.4ghz, my temps at load were 44C and idle at 35C, while unmoded and unoverclocked my temps at load were 42C and idle at 31C (dont have ambient temps, but if i had to guess i'd say mid 20's)

EDIT: I think i posted before in another thread that i was disappointed. Well i was. Temps were not always consistent! They changed dramatically. A degree higher in ambient and your temps rise about 3C more. I'm sure it has to do with curve in the mod.

I am sure that it WILL work, but I think a straight spacer would perform better: move the fan even 1/2" from the sink and you will reduce the dead spot.
Of course whatever you space the fan out with must seal between the fan and the sink so air doesn't leak out instead of going through the sink......

Air pressure is needed to get air all the way to the base of the sink (which is where the fastest, best cooling happens), and modern High Performance heatsinks usually run MUCH better with more air pressure.
Anything that reduces that is a no-no for my computers ;)

has anyone tried a duct with a fan on top and a fan halfway down the duct but none on the sink itself? I dont know if it would do anything but it might increase the airpressure a little. Dont flame me if thats ridiculous Im not a rocket scientist. 🧀

I just bought one.... :)

...and believe me, the screws in front (on the inside of the curve) are murder to screw in, especially if you're like me and too lazy to take the mobo out of the case... :)

I have one of those on my volcano 9. I read a few reviews on them before purchasing one and everyone said that they reduced temps by 2-4 degrees. My temps dropped, but I added the duct and lapped my heatsink at the same time so I don't know how much of the drop was due to the duct alone.

and believe me, the screws in front (on the inside of the curve) are murder to screw in, especially if you're like me and too lazy to take the mobo out of the case

If you have a small set of screwdrivers (think of those jewlers sets) then it isn't hard at all. Taking the HS out of the mobo is the way to go though, cause you can move the heatsink while screwing it in and it can come unseated.

Back