• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some thorough reviews and a wifi ROUTER!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

My head is freaking SPINNING!

I currently have an 3+ yr old WRT54G linksys wireless router that I'm looking to upgrade for a few reasons I won't get into.

SO, I checked Tom's and read some of their articles and now I know to avoid anything "N" like the plague.

I googled for wireless router reviews and came up with a few from PC WORLD magazine that seemed sketchy at best.

I searched around newegg.com and read through some customer reviews on the top rated wireless routers.

...and my head is spinning.

I have not been entirely happy with my linksys router these past few years and was looking to change to DLINK, NETGEAR or BELKIN but definitely stay on the "beaten path".

I had almost convinced myself that the NetGear RangeMax 240
http://www.pcmag.com/products/0,,tq...73&mt823=21060&sort=erat&dir=desc&stpdinglp=1
seemed like it was pretty consistently getting good reviews.

Newegg users (I always read the lowest ratings first) had some nasty experience with it however and rated the newer linksys WRT54GS pretty highly.

MIMO sounds like the thing to have but is it only useful if your wireless PCMCIA card supports it or can any wireless card take advantage of it?

please help!

thanks

I have the wap54g and it works perfectly -- I have yet to have a problem with it, I know its linksys, and it is just an access point, but it has worked perfect for me. I have one desktop that wireless, and two laptops.

eh I don't know what to think of this pre-N and N technology. I haven't seen much good said about it...

I was hoping there'd be a consensus as to which router to get if money was not an option...

If your WRT54G is 3 years old it should be a version 4 or older. Meaning you can flash it with modified firmware such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT.

I have a D-Link DGL 4300. It's a bit more pricey, but has a good interface and features. I switched from a Linksys wrt54. What makes it better is less dropped connections and being able to have more simultaneous connects. (bit torrent). i'd look into it.

Back