• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Secondary screen problem on my laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
Here's the situation:
I have a laptop with an Ati Mobile Radeon X1600, I want to use the secondary output to have a dual screen system.

I hooked up the second screen to the DVI port, the screen came on, and the Ati configuration gave me options as to how I wanted to use it. I picked Clone, just toying with the settings. It cloned.

Then I decided that I wanted to simply extend the desktop. I opened the Ati config back up, uh oh--no more secondary display configuration options. I messed with it for a bit, shut down the PC, and went home for the day.

Came back the next day, and now I can't get the screen to come on at all, but I know for a fact that it works.

I reinstalled the drivers to the card, completely wiped out the old ones, even tried a system restore to the previous day. No dice.

I cannot use the Windows Display Settings to extend the screen, because when I select "Extend my desktop" and hit OK, the laptop screen goes out for a few seconds, then comes back. "Your settings have been changed, would you like to keep them? Yes/No" That's all well and good, but nothing has actually changed, the second screen never even flickered.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guess no one has any ideas?

don't you have anny button on your laptop for switching displays or something ?
I've got this button on my XPS M1330, I had diff. display problems when using HDMI ,
but pressing this button helped me - maybe it will "refresh" the settings for you or something ...

That is an excellent suggestion, but one I have already tried, unfortunately :(

Back