• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3040b383 = 'Meh' i7 950 batch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

DSCF5939.jpg

I'd heard of 950's doing 200x20 on 1.27v bios setting so I'm a little disappointed that mine isn't guaranteed uberstable below 1.31v. Even at 1.30 after priming for a couple of hours it goes kerplunk. That's been my latest tweaking, getting voltages to the minimum happy number and that's as low as it'll go.

I got a really good bin conroe E6550 3 years ago. But this guy not so much.

Anybody have one of those mythical 950's that'll run 4Ghz @ 1.27? Or less? Any idea what the 'e4' after the batch means?

1.31v @ 4ghz isnt bad really. i7-950's dont seem to clock as well as the i7-920s did. Even the 930s dont clock like the 920s. I was 4ghz stable @ 1.25v if I remember right on my 920, and 4.5ghz stable at 1.42v.

You gotta realize that all chips are different. You are achieving 4ghz @ 1.31v, which is nothing to be ashamed of. You may be able to get a 4ghz overclock w/ slightly less voltage with a lower bclock and higher multi. Sometimes it works although it never has really helped me out (some people do this).

Also, what are your other voltages? You may be unstable on the QPI rather than core and you might need more voltage elsewhere, allowing you to lower your vcore.

1.31v @ 4ghz isnt bad really. i7-950's dont seem to clock as well as the i7-920s did. Even the 930s dont clock like the 920s. I was 4ghz stable @ 1.25v if I remember right on my 920, and 4.5ghz stable at 1.42v.

You gotta realize that all chips are different. You are achieving 4ghz @ 1.31v, which is nothing to be ashamed of. You may be able to get a 4ghz overclock w/ slightly less voltage with a lower bclock and higher multi. Sometimes it works although it never has really helped me out (some people do this).

Also, what are your other voltages? You may be unstable on the QPI rather than core and you might need more voltage elsewhere, allowing you to lower your vcore.
+1 :thup:

Will report back after next reset. Going to play Starcraft. And lose Starcraft.

Back