• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hardware changing...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiteshark

Registered
Hi, my configuration is: intel pentium dual core e2160 1.80Ghz, Asus P5KPL, Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 512MB, 2GB DDR2 800Mhz, Hdd 160GB... so i read that processor isn't so much important for playing games, like the graphics card.. so what is more important for me to upgrade, processor or graphics card in this configuration? :confused:

Thanks

In that configuration, you'll be considerably better off with a new video card... the 8600GT is OK for light gaming and HTPC-type uses, but it's not a very high performance card.

At stock speed, your CPU might begin to limit you a bit with the highest-end cards, but bumping it up to the 2.5-3ghz range should take care of any troubles with that, if the need arises.

I think your current CPU and video card are appropriately matched. If you upgrade either component, the older component is going to be holding you back some. But it really depends on the games you play and the resolution you run. If you game at very high resolution and quality settings, then you will generally get more benefit from a video card upgrade. However, your CPU will definitely be limiting your framerates in some games. Have you considered overclocking your CPU? If you upgraded your video card and overclocked your CPU, you could see significant gains in performance.

thanks guys, but overclocking is not so high on this motherboard Asus P5KPL, i can overclock this processor to 2.30Ghz max everything else is unstable.. so..

I agree with Old Thrashbarg that a video card upgrade would be your best bet for now. Last time I checked, the Radeon 4850 was the best bang-for-the-buck card, but that was a couple months ago.

but overclocking is not so high on this motherboard Asus P5KPL, i can overclock this processor to 2.30Ghz max everything else is unstable.. so..

Do a BSEL mod. It's got about a 99% chance it'll work at 1066FSB for 2.4ghz, and you might even be able to get it to run at 1333FSB for 3.2ghz, although that would probably require the 1.4V or 1.45V mod as well.

As for a video card, I'd probably wait for the HD4770, it's coming out pretty soon, and it's pretty close in performance to the 4850 but will cost <$100.

Do a BSEL mod. It's got about a 99% chance it'll work at 1066FSB for 2.4ghz, and you might even be able to get it to run at 1333FSB for 3.2ghz, although that would probably require the 1.4V or 1.45V mod as well.

i have made a BSEL MODE on my CPU, when i turn on my computer it says new cpu, ok, i enter the bios, save changes, but then after a restart everything backs to normal, fsb and cpu speed, why ?? i used electrical tape... what is the problem? :confused:

i used electrical tape...

Did you thoroughly read the guide? Because you shouldn't need electrical tape for the BSEL mod. You just take a conductive ink pen and connect the appropriate pads.

yes i read the guide, but i can't find conductive ink pen, so i tried to connect pins with little peace of electrical tape and it worked but after restart CPU backs to normal speed...:confused:

It shouldn't be too hard to find a pen locally. Radioshack usually has 'em, and there are also some available at auto parts stores, for repairing rear window defoggers.

And yes, electrical tape shouldn't have worked at all, since conductive ink is conductive, and electrical tape is an insulator.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a pen locally. Radioshack usually has 'em, and there are also some available at auto parts stores, for repairing rear window defoggers.

And yes, electrical tape shouldn't have worked at all, since conductive ink is conductive, and electrical tape is an insulator.

oh i m so sorry, did i said electrical tape,,, no no, i used metal foil, i cut a little piece of metal foil in shape which can connect the pins on CPU... and ok, thanks for instructions on how to get a pen :) what would i do without you here ;)

Geforce GTS250 costs the same as 4850, offers the same performance, is smaller, consumes less power and has PhysX and CUDA. I would say that today it is better bang/buck than 4850.
Just make sure your power supply is up for the upgrade.

Does the GTS250 cost $85 shipped on Newegg? I think not.

I think your current CPU and video card are appropriately matched. If you upgrade either component, the older component is going to be holding you back some.
I'm not so sure about that.

I am running CoD4 at highest settings with ~45fps at 1680x1050 with an E2180 and a 9600 GT. The 9600 GT is still the bottleneck. Modern games (at modern resolutions) don't really demand that much from the CPU.

Back