• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 fans on a heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrackedSKull

I had an idea for adding two more fans to a heatsink and was wondering if it would work or if anyone had tried it. You could make the air flow ethier way so thats why the arrows point both ways.

CrackedSKull said:
I had an idea for adding two more fans to a heatsink and was wondering if it would work or if anyone had tried it. You could make the air flow ethier way so thats why the arrows point both ways.

So long as the top fan pushes twice the CFM as one of the two side fans, that should be OK. Although I wouldn't want 3 fans worth of weight chillin on the socket lugs. Not to mention 3 times the electromagnetic interferance from the 3 fan motors, as opposed to 1. If you can isolate against those 2 potential problems, I'd like to see the temp results before and after. That could prove to be a bit more effective then a single fan.

On my old FOP i had a 50mm fan on the side (which turns to be the bottom edge on my board) and it was set to blow in, pushing the air into the PSU and out the case. No noticible case temp drop, but dropped 2C under idle and 1C under full load (50mm inovative approx 10-12cfm)

On My OLD "******" orb hsf i took the fan of and wrapped a delta on to it and the temp went up.....

it was blowing down onto the other fan in the orb and it was useless, any ideas????

Thanks for the replies, never thought of electromagnetic fields and the weight could be fixed by a different securing method. Anyways I wasn't realling planing on doing, just thought I'd throw it out here.

I suggest the top fan blowing down, and the two side fans still sucking, that way u will get flow not the fans working against each other trying to create a vacuum.

Back