• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing the rails

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adriana

I had my amd opteron 165 for almost three years and now decided to upgrade to an i7. I was initially planning to use my previous PSU until i saw the readings on CPUID hardware monitor. I know that I shouldn't trust software readings so i decided to test it with my multimeter. So I followed the basic guide, putting the leads into yellow and ground when the computer is off. However, once i turn on my computer, it loads for a second then completely shuts off. I was not able to turn on the computer until I reseted the PSU. Did i short anything and why is my computer preventing me from using the multimeter?

I had my amd opteron 165 for almost three years and now decided to upgrade to an i7. I was initially planning to use my previous PSU until i saw the readings on CPUID hardware monitor. I know that I shouldn't trust software readings so i decided to test it with my multimeter. So I followed the basic guide, putting the leads into yellow and ground when the computer is off. However, once i turn on my computer, it loads for a second then completely shuts off. I was not able to turn on the computer until I reseted the PSU. Did i short anything and why is my computer preventing me from using the multimeter?

You need to list your new hardware that you are trying to power-up.

You need to list your new hardware that you are trying to power-up.

opps i apologize for that.

Intel i7 D0
Gigabyte UD4P
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
OCZ Platinum 1600 3x2gb
WD Black 1TB
X300SE (for not until I get the 4770)
FSP BLUESTORM AX500-A
Currently no optical drives
Window 7

I think your PSU might be a problem. That PSU is rated as having 2 x +12v rails @ 15A each. Per the handy-dandy PSU calculator, your system as-is (adding for 3 x 120mm fans) needs 279W, or 23.25A. It's not quite taking up the entire rated amperage, but in that older PSU, it might be enough to make it trip. Shouldn't be, but may be. If those are peak ratings and not continuous, I'd lean even further toward the opinion that it's the PSU.

FWIW, You'll need a new one anyway when you get your new GPU. The PSU calculator doesn't have a 4770, but adding a 4870 ups the requirement to 395W, or 33A; more than yours is even rated for. Add some overclocking and you'll just move further over and above that.

I think your PSU might be a problem. That PSU is rated as having 2 x +12v rails @ 15A each. Per the handy-dandy PSU calculator, your system as-is (adding for 3 x 120mm fans) needs 279W, or 23.25A. It's not quite taking up the entire rated amperage, but in that older PSU, it might be enough to make it trip. Shouldn't be, but may be. If those are peak ratings and not continuous, I'd lean even further toward the opinion that it's the PSU.

FWIW, You'll need a new one anyway when you get your new GPU. The PSU calculator doesn't have a 4770, but adding a 4870 ups the requirement to 395W, or 33A; more than yours is even rated for. Add some overclocking and you'll just move further over and above that.
yikes! just when you think you can get away :bang head. i guess i'll be picking up some corsair psu. i thought my multimeter was going to Sh*& because blew a fuse in my car last time when I was back probing.

A faulty MM could cause issues, but I think you're under powered anyway. I LOVE my corsair units. 2x 450VX & 1x 650TX under my belt so far. Unless something horrible happens to their QC, I'm sticking with them as long as they produce (well, rebrand) PSUs.

A faulty MM could cause issues, but I think you're under powered anyway. I LOVE my corsair units. 2x 450VX & 1x 650TX under my belt so far. Unless something horrible happens to their QC, I'm sticking with them as long as they produce (well, rebrand) PSUs.

would this psu still be acceptable to use on my old opteron 165? currently running 3 fans at .17 amps, 1 drive, stock voltage. Is there any other way I can measure the rails without shorting the pc or is the psu just POS

Back