• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D3/Daily Build (New Member, New Build...)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HARAMOSH

My name is Dan and I am a Geek Squad agent. I have been provoked by the upcoming release of Diablo 3 to make a new computer. It will be my day to day media console/work console but will also mainly run D3.

I have started my collection of parts and will post them up as I go, feel free to throw up any comments or suggestions. I actually have 2 builds going on (a liquid cooled build for a gaming only machine), but this one gets priority because I want it done and ready by 5/15/12! Because this only is running d3 and the adobe cs5 full premium, it is going to be a budget build in what I would consider middle of the road.

Parts I currently own for the build:

-Antec 25 (1100) Case
-Asus P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard
-Intel i5-2500K CPU
-G.SKILL 16GB (2x8gb) ram
-ThermalTake BW 850W modular powersupply
-Corsair H60 heat sink/cpu cooler
- 4x 120mm fans for front and side of case
-Gaming Mouse
-2x asus 21.X" monitors

Parts I still need to purchase:

-Geforce GTX 560 (x2 potentially, might be overkill so maybe only 1)
-Intel 80gb SSD
-WD Caviar Black 500gb HDD
-Asus 27" monitor
-Gaming Keyboard
-SoundCard (SoundBlaster)
-Fan Controller
-DVD/CD drive
-Additional fans for push/pull on H60.
-Monitor (27")

Thats everything off the top of my head. Ill be posting pics tonight.

What's the difference between that card and this one on newegg?

The newegg card looks $50 cheaper... the BB one looks like it's clock speed is 15MHz faster.. Ram speed vs core speed? Is one of those numbers listed wrong?

You might be good with a 6870 they go for about $130

Do you have a link to which one you are talking about, the 6870's from AMD? because I thought they were $200+. I am probably wrong but im just curiuos if you have a link to anywhere that would be $130.

did some more research and found a gigabyte 6870 on sale, and it was dropped down to $160 but thats the lowest i have seen it.

Small update, the build is nearing very soon, today i picked up a copy of windows 7 ultimate, an intel 320 series 80gb SSD, a WD caviar black 500gb HDD, and snagged a evga gtx 560 2gb superclocked graphics card from work for $150. I was very close to buying a gigabyte 6870 on clearance at microcenter but i saw what i could get the gtx 560 for and had to jump on it.

All that is left is purchasing my ram, fan gear including controller, disc drive and all the other misc small stuff that goes with the computer. I also had to order some cord splitters for my fans to help with cable management and running on the fans off of a switch (at least the ones up front and on the sides).

Before this morning...

858ee9f9.jpg
after a few hours

a2c9fbc2.jpg

Small update

I still have my ram to get, and a fan controller, theme monitor and my fan splitter cables. Home stretch for the hardware!

Ok so this is my first post from the computer, i finished the unit last night late and installed windows. this morning i woke up, installed all the drivers, stress tested it and all is well. as a heads up for people using SSD's with custom builds, my SSD is booked by my hiberfile.sys at almost 16gigs, which is a file for when you computer goes into hibernation mode, and it takes up alot of space, so with just my basic programs, drivers, win7, etc with nothing else downloaded but chrome, i now only have 30gigs left on my SSD. Pleh! Other than that this thing is incredibly fast and works very well. I am still waiting on my monitors, keyboard and few other items to show up then i will post the build pics and my current set up.

Nice build! If I were you I would shrink/remove the recycle bin present on that drive (you can set it for each drive) and also disable the hibernation completely. The hibernation file is the size of your RAM. I would also move the page file to a secondary drive, and possibly consider shrinking it seeing as you have 16GB of RAM.

I also must say, this motherboard is amazing, it is beautiful externally, but also i listen to ALOT of music and the audio performance on this thing is incredible. Everything from games to laid back music to bass heavy mixes you can really fine tune a speaker system to get the best output. Of course mine is hooked up to a 1000W+ 7.1 system but the default settings on it were terrible in comparison to how the mobo software adjust the output on it.

Nice build! If I were you I would shrink/remove the recycle bin present on that drive (you can set it for each drive) and also disable the hibernation completely. The hibernation file is the size of your RAM. I would also move the page file to a secondary drive, and possibly consider shrinking it seeing as you have 16GB of RAM.

Is there any downside to removing hibernate maybe i dont know of? I will usually let me computer sleep or shut it down. i have never used the hibernate feature... ever haha. i would more than love to remove it if at all possible, also this is my first build and i have never messed with shrinking the page file so im not sure if there is a proper way to do this that I dont know of? I never put my computer into hibernate, usually sleep or off (or the screen saver comes on)

Ok, i disabled my C: drive trash can however even after disabling the hibernation mode and deleting it, it does not remove itself. hmmmm. im going to continue working on this and see what i can come up with.

That's odd. How did you disable it?

Did you do this in command prompt: powercfg /hibernate off

That will turn it off and will free up the space.

The error request is not support
The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
There are one or more legacy drivers installed:
VgaSave
An internal system component has disabled hibernation.

^^^ this is
What command prompt is telling me. Is it due to maybe my graphics card drivers are not properly installed? I have been researching it without and luck yet. I'm still digging

Ok now the graphics drivers are correct, now it's saying I don't have permission to run that command. Time to keep diggin, at least there is progress.

Ran command prompt as an administrator now and it deleted. Woohoo! Time to move on to bigger and better things

Ah yes, forgot to tell you that it needed to be elevated. Glad you got it sorted!

Another thing you can do is move your document folder to another drive if this takes up a lot of space. Also I place all my internet downloads on another drive (in browser preferences) so that when downloading a large file it doesn't get shoved on my SSD.

Back