• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vsync

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Vsync limits the framerate in 3D applications to your refresh rate.
Let's say youre playing Counter-Strike 1.6 with your 9700pro on 800x600, opengl on normal settings.
Situation 1: Vsync Off, Refresh rate @ 85hz, Counter-Strike FPS is 99fps
Situation 2: Vsync On, Refresh rate @ 85hz, Counter-Strike FPS is 85fps, no higher.

Now why would you wanna limit your fps? Because it gets rid of tearing! Tearing is when you move in a game or 3D app or something, and you can see lines that kind of look like the image was shifted. This happens because you have a higher fps than the monitor can refresh. If you turn Vsync on, you wont get higher fps than your framerate, so it can keep up. There will be no tearing and it will look perfectly smooth.

ok thanks, no wonder i was getting a horizontal line across my screen sometimes in Pro Evolution soccer 4 :rolleyes:

Hmmm i'm still getting a horizontal line across my screen in pro evo soccer 4. Even though I turned vsync "always on"...... :confused:

I prefer vsync off, but then, I'm just wierd.

Ohh, and if your card can't do, say, 85fps @ 85hz, it will drop down to a locked 42.5fps, which is a lot less enjoyable.

I use vsync for older games that will run at 1600x1200 at over 113 fps. For newer games where you don't average at least 113 fps leave vsync off. This is especially noticable in a game like Doom3. I get 73.4 fps at 1600x1200 with no AA or AF and with vsync on I only get 53 fps. I hope this helps you. Take care. :drool:

Yuriman said:
I prefer vsync off, but then, I'm just wierd.

Ohh, and if your card can't do, say, 85fps @ 85hz, it will drop down to a locked 42.5fps, which is a lot less enjoyable.
i think you're wrong there. i'm pretty sure it only caps it at the monitors refresh rate. i leave vsync on if its an in game option.

My friend and I did some tests in a number of direct3d games, and with double buffering, it drops the framerate limit to 1/2 your refresh rate if you cant keep a steady 85fps(at 85hz). In opengl, you can enable tripple buffering which allows a few values in between.

Is your card overclocked? Are you sure it is stable? Is it overheating and causing minor problems?

You could try backing your overclock down or putting it back to stock to see if it helps.

i forgot to mention that my card is an x800........i just havent changed it in my sig yet....but i still had the problem with the 9700pro. It is NOT overclocked, its at stock speeds.....and the graphics are great except in pro evo soccer 4, i get a line across the screen often even with vsync on. Tried different driver versions but still same.

Back