• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a certain temp before artifacts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terranova

Come to find out my 8800 is capapble of clocking at 700/1800/1000 just fine it was stable for 3hours in ati tool and while doing 3dmark 06. The emps stayed at 58 celsious practically the whole time until i put 2 instances of orthos and prime 95 on while ati was running. The temp on the card stayed inbetween 58-59 but RIGHT as soon as the temp hit 60 celsious the 3 hour stable turned into artifact heaven. Is 60 celsious like max for these cards or what? I need to get another cooler for this thing gah....my temps were never this high until i did that stupid volt mod *rolls eyes* but i knew before hand this would happen oh well more clocks for the heat i geuss.

Actually I'd bet your problem is a lack of power. When you run the Orthos, your CPU is now sucking a ton of power and your 8800GT wants a lot of power as well and it getting starved. That 420W Powerstream probably can't cut it.

Oh and to answer your question, No, there is no certain temperature at which your card will start artifacting, just has to do with how the chip runs as those speeds/volts. Of course if it was running really hot, that could cause issues, but 60c is not hot at all.

I'm pretty sure your problem is the PSU.

Back