• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking KA266

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=A][A=-cazman

Hi people I was just wondering if anyone out their has overclocked with the I-will KA266 MB. I have a 1.2 Ghz 266 FSB T-bird and i want to overclock it. And i was hoping that someone could give me some advice or tips or anything :)

Man all I wanted was some info on how to overclock my 1.2Ghz 266FSB T-bird :( But I guess no1 has any info out their for me.

For cooling i have 3 120mm T&T fans. One on the bottom of my case sucking air in and one on the side sucking air in and one on the top rear of my case blowing out. I think they push out like 114 cfm or something. I also have that HDcooler sucking in. Now for memory I have 512 Mb of PC2100 ram. My video card is the voodoo 5 5500 64meg agp. Oh and my case in the In-Win Q500 with only a 300 watt PS......think i need more??

I have a 1.2 on a KA266 with the sfb set to 146 = 1314 and it works great. It is a water cooled rig but the motivation there was quiet. The specs are below and the os is 98 se.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Billy

Last edited:
yeah how do i overclock the cpu? change the jumpers on the MB?? If i overclock it will that affect anything else like ram or video? And i've also heard about "unlocking" your CPU......that is just shorting out some L1 bridges on the CPU right? What does that do for you?

mmmmm ok....... I know that to overclock the CPU i mess with the jumpers on the board itslef. Now to overclock the FSB I didn't see anywhere where i could do that.......maybe it's in the BIOS but i'm not sure exactly where. :confused:

It is in the bios under the Iwill smart settings. I would go from 133 to 136 and then 140 and then higher after running the machine a day or so in each setting to see if it is stable.

Billy

Well I tried to go to 140 mhz but it locked up on rebooting... it stoped loading programs but i could move the mouse around... ctrl+alt+del did nothing as well. So i went back to my reg jumper settings. Also do i need to "Unlock" my CPU to overclock it past 1.2Ghz?? Or can i get away with messing with the jumpers on the board?

If the fsb increase locked the machine up I dont think unlocking the chip multiplier is worth the effort.

You may want to rething your ram and or components. Some items take to overclocking better than others.

Billy

-=A][A=-cazman said:
For cooling i have 3 120mm T&T fans. One on the bottom of my case sucking air in and one on the side sucking air in and one on the top rear of my case blowing out. I think they push out like 114 cfm or something. I also have that HDcooler sucking in. Now for memory I have 512 Mb of PC2100 ram. My video card is the voodoo 5 5500 64meg agp. Oh and my case in the In-Win Q500 with only a 300 watt PS......think i need more??

Well looks like you will never had a prob with DUST!! haha Jk. I have that board, or is mine the KT266 anyways. I've always loved IWill. Great boards if you ask me, and very overclocker friendly. You shouldn't have any probs.

First thing. If it just has a greeny on it. 86 it and get a good chip cooler on it. If you can't get a chip cooler for it, just make sure that you have some thermal grease under the greeny.

I hope ya know what I'm talking about when I say greeny?!?!? It's the north bridge heat sync.

Rob

Ok since my FSB didn't take to overclocking at 140....maybe i should just try and max out the cpu??? right now the system is at normal specs 133 fsb and 9.0x multi. Should I dare to try the multiplier at 10x? And if I do 10x should I mess with the Vcore settings at all?

I dont find the vcore increase makes much of a difference unless your attempting a maximum effort. It does indeed raise the temps.

You may want to look for a 100 aka 200 fsb chip I had a 650 tbird @ 910 before this chip and wish I still had it. It was very overclockable. I am at the top of the fsb scale now and have to unlock the chip to go higher.

Billy

Ps: what ram and hard drive are you using ?

Last edited:
For ram i have 512meg zeus components pc2100. For HD's I have a POS maxtor 10 gig and a aight 60 gig IBM 7200 ATA100.

The IBM hard drives dont mind a high fsb so I have to assume that the ram isn't cutting it. I would sell it and get a stick of 256 Crucial pc 2100. It works great and is reasonably priced. why not give me all the specs when you get a minute

Billy

OK what I have :

Iwill KA266 MB
1.2 Ghz 266FSB T-bird
Voodoo 5 5500 64meg agp
Maxtor 10gig HD
Western digi 60gig 7200 ATA100
24x CDROM
8x4x32x CDRW creative
PCI 512 sound card
linksys NIC
Cable Modem