• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi tasking cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenya

Registered
Trying to pick a good multi tasking cpu for my sister!

found a few phenomII black 555 x2 or phenom x3 8650 or some athlon?
what do you think?

I found a phenom2 x2 550 for $70 that is the top price i'd pay. She will use it for photoshop/act/illustrator etc.

A 550 or 555 PII and a decent board running the sb710 or sb750 chipset should do nicely. And with that type of board, there is a chance you can unlock the CPU to either a tri or quadcore. :thup:

For Photoshop the more cores the better, as far as I know. Buy the most cores you can on your budget. I would consider the Athlon II X3 over the older Phenom X3. The efficiency of the newer cores should give you slightly better performance over the 2 MB of L3 you'd have to give up ...

Thx guys i have already decided i have to put in a little more $$$$ so i will go with this!

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

or

AMD Athlon II X4 630

but i think the phenom 2 is better!

I vote for the Athlon II X4 630 because its an AM3. Either will give you plenty of power for what you want to do but the 940 is half a step back in technology. Should you want to upgrade to an AM3 board in the future the 630 would permit that without having to buy another CPU. And, the 640 runs very cool and is easily overclockable.

Back