• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silver Mountain VS Swiftech MC-462

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larry Quinn

I did some research, and decided to buy an Akasa Silver mountain Cooler..

It came in and BOY is that thing NICE!

It has tamed the heat demon for me!

Abit KG7-Raid
AMD 1.4 Thunderbird@ [email protected] 1.8Vcore

100% CPU=47-48 Deg C

So..
You can imagine how I felt when I started reading that the Swiftech MC-462 was the best thing since Sliced Bread.

Oh well...the credit card got another workout!!
A new MC-462 is heading my way as we speak (Type?).

I will post my results...
But...what are your best guesses on the comparison??

Let's break out the old crystal ball and predict the outcome!

Has anyone else already done this comparison??

Larry

Well, if you got the MC-462A with the less capable Sanyo Denki fan, my money will be on the Silver Mountain. If you got the MC-462A with the Delta 69cfm fan, for which it was designed around, then my money is on the MC-462A.

Hoot

Phil said:
pahh I'd go for a super orb any time, that thing has 2 fans man!

be careful when you are being sarcastic phil!

My vote hmm, I am going Silver mountain, but it will be a close one!

TEE HEE HEEE
HAHAHAHAHA

Feel Better??

BTW...
I am getting the Sanyo Denki fan...
But you raise a good point.....

The Delta fan....Where can I get one QUICK..And......
Well......

ECONOMICALLY......

Will it have the 3 pin header to send tach. info to the M/B...as well as the 4 pin for the "Juice"??

It would be great to make this a 4 Way Competition with the fans being the switch!!!!

WOOHOO!!!

Larry Quinn said:
The Delta fan....Where can I get one QUICK..And......
Well......

ECONOMICALLY......

Will it have the 3 pin header to send tach. info to the M/B...as well as the 4 pin for the "Juice"??

It would be great to make this a 4 Way Competition with the fans being the switch!!!!

I believe Sidewinder sells them. You could hve ordered the MC-462A from them with either fan. The Delta I got came with the molex 4-pin connector. The Delta does not have a tachometer output. Good Luck

Hoot

Millisec.com sell the Delta 69cfm with both molex 4-pin and 3-pin rpm but I would go with Hoot and get the Swiftech at Sidewindercomputers.com. In my opinion, the best heatsink/fan combination would be the Swiftech MC462A Bare heatsink with a Delta VHE 57cfm fan at much tolerable 44.5dBA noise and don't forget a fan guard. It's about 6-7 degree temp difference between the delta 69cfm and the Sanyo 54cfm fan, so the Delta 57cfm fan should performs somewhere in between.

Originally posted by Larry Quinn

Oh well..

I'm not really interested in a fan without a Tach output.

Is there a fan on par with the delta with the output??

larry

You won't need a tachometer to know if it's running or not. However, some revisions of Bios on some motherboards require a CPU fan tachometer output to work. Are you running one of those, or "Shutdown Now"?

NOWIS, does the VHE have the static de-spiraling vanes like the SHE? If it does, it would be a good alternative, especially if you absolutely must have a tachometer output. Thanks for the tip.

Hoot

Last edited:
Are you sure that MC-462 takes an 80MM fan??

I thought that it took a 60.

I found the FFB0812SHE with RPM out...

This IS the Delta your talking about right??

Will it need an adapter?

Thanks again

Larry

It's ordered...
80 mm
Delta 69 CFM WITH RPM OUT!!!!!!!(4 pin for power AND 3 pin for RPM)

COOL!!!!!!!!

On it's way!!!

So the fan that is coming with the MC-462 isn't up to the challenge???

Another test will have to be the Delta VS the Sanyo Denki on the swiftech!!!!

I was going to spend all this money on water cooling...but I just can't say no to convienance!!!

This is going to be a GREAT TEST!!

Let's lay down some ground rules....

Let's get a GOOD test...

1) The ambient temp MUST be the same.
2) The test program MUST be the same.
3) Arctic silver II compound for ALL tests.
4) testing "Time" must be the same..(Ie readings after 10 min 100% CPU)

What have I forgotten?

Larry

Hoot, Is static de-spiraling vanes means the same as the directional fins. They help direct cool air staight down to the core. The VHE doesn't have tachometer output, but a lot less noise and vibration than the SHE. Also, there is no need to spend more on a Rhestat to reduce noise.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/del80ffb08121.html

Larry, the Swiftech MC462A uses 80mm fan without the use of an adapter. There are two delta 69cfm fans sold by millisec.com. one is the FFB0812SHE with a single 3-pin connector and the other is with molex 4-pin power out plus a seperate 3-pin rpm and this is the one you should get. Don't get the single 3-pin connector version, it also need a separate split molex 4-pin + 3-pin rpm connector that cost around $8 before you can use it. Millisec.com already made one with the split connectors, so make sure you order the right one.

I also recommend sampling the loudness of these fans first before making any decision.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/tecar.html

NOWIS said:
Hoot, Is static de-spiraling vanes means the same as the directional fins. -snip-

Yeah.

My Delta SHE only has two wires (for power). I didn't know they now have tachometer output also. I'm jealous...

Hoot

Oh Larry, check this out about the comparison on those fans http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/The_Bleeding_Edge/index.html
About the installation of these two fans, the sanyo is 32mm thick and the screws come with the heatsink is 32mm which is a perfect fit. To install the 38mm Delta, I think you'll need to shorten the screws yourself or go to a hardware store for some screws. Could be an inconvenice to your test, just so you know.
I like to see what temp you'll get with this beauty :)

NOWIS said:
Hoot, Is static de-spiraling vanes means the same as the directional fins. They help direct cool air staight down to the core. The VHE doesn't have tachometer output, but a lot less noise and vibration than the SHE. Also, there is no need to spend more on a Rhestat to reduce noise.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/del80ffb08121.html

Larry, the Swiftech MC462A uses 80mm fan without the use of an adapter. There are two delta 69cfm fans sold by millisec.com. one is the FFB0812SHE with a single 3-pin connector and the other is with molex 4-pin power out plus a seperate 3-pin rpm and this is the one you should get. Don't get the single 3-pin connector version, it also need a separate split molex 4-pin + 3-pin rpm connector that cost around $8 before you can use it. Millisec.com already made one with the split connectors, so make sure you order the right one.

I also recommend sampling the loudness of these fans first before making any decision.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/tecar.html
I'm using the Delta FFB0812EHE on my Swiftech, 80CFM-52.5dBA guys!

CD:)

I agree with the overclocker. The topic title suggests the testing and comparisons of heatsinks, not fans. If you are running one heatsink with the delta, then the other should be run with the delta. imho

Back