• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor 10k - Wierd Problem, (graph inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeepSky

Ok. So over christmas break i went home from school and i left my computer on campus. For christmas i got a new Raptor 37gb 10k RPM SATA drive. I get back to campus and my computer won't turn on, then it won't boot to windows. It worked fine before i left, but w/e i had to reformat for this new HD anyway.

So i install the new HD and go to play Counter Strike Source. During the game i get HUGE spikes where the graphics will just stutter ONCE, not multiple stutters. I thought oh well, Valve is just messin up (my friend tried to play on my machine and was like how the hell do you play with these jerks/pauses).

So today i load the second game i've tried to play on the new harddrive (i also got a new case for christmas and moved my computer to the new case), Call of Duty 2. I load it up and i get the same goddamn jerks/pauses. I'm pretty sure its either my memory or my hard drive (i had a stick of OC'ed memory crap out not a month ago, Jerks were there before and after i took it out, but at least windows booted).

Anyway i benchmarked my hard drive and it gave the following graph. Looked strange to me so i benchmarked my other IDE slow HD's they ran alot slower of course but also had the huge spikes that hit rock bottom.

Is this normal? Do you guys think its RAM or my new HD? Any advice?

graph8qh.jpg

Please no comments concerning actual HD speeds, i'm not concerned whether its running as fast as it should. Thanks.

you got the right drivers? because one of my friends had the same problem and it also took forever to install things. turns out the drivers never got installed and once they did the system worked great.

Yeah, i had to have the drivers (from Asus' website) to install windows..

Is it normal for any hard drive to dive to 0 like that though?

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

I just today finnaly got tired of the jerky ups and downs i noticed in CS:S and over time i realized i got the same jerky pauses with even simple flash and java web games. So i popped in a 4700rpm WD and installed windows and CS:S and BAM everything is flawless again (granted with the raptor i loaded the next map about 10 seconds before the second person loaded it and 20 seconds before most poeople loaded it and now i'm lucky if i'm the 15th person in the server) BUT at least my game isn't constantly spazzing out. Also every visual in winamp and web games no longer have the jerky pause either. Furthermore my HDD Speed test graph is level...sooo wow...yeah i paid a ****load for that HDD, hopefully it was only being ****ty because i have an old motherboard...anyway just thought i'd let you guys know it wasn't my RAM at all.

Yeah, my money is on the SATA drivers. Not sure why it would do that, but that's the first thing I can think of. Have you given up?

Yeah i've given up for now...I'll just deal with not being the first one in the game, or installing programs at 1/3 the speed. I plan on getting a Pentium Machine this summer and i'll look for a good mobo. Hopefully it was just the drivers. I mean afterall when my mobo came out only the Deluxe version even had SATA.

Back