• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are people silencing these evercool 120mm's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DOHCrazy

I have 3 of them running in my case now, and there down at 7 volts.

Can these fans run all the way at 5 volts, or i just be happy at the 7 volt level?

BTW: as the topic states the are Evercool Alluminums.

prettymuch all alums are the same , i need to get 2 more for my rad b/c my uv ones are loud, but anyways just use a rheostat to control them

I cannot figure out how to get them on 5V either (although they are really quiet on 12V, and silent on 7V anyways) - they won't run without a ground (black wire) for me, and I assume that using the red power power wire instead of the yellow one provides 7V right?

MOLEX PLUG:
(R = red, B = Ground Black, Y = Yellow)

R B B Y
| | | |
| | | |

And the Fan uses one of the B (black), and the Yellow wire by default - switching the yellow with the red provides 7V (I think), but how can you go down to 5V without adding resistance or something?

http://www.overclockers.com/tips808/
This guy give a table at the bottom to achieve any voltage you want pretty much.
I need to get some of these evercools. they move a lot of air at not very much noise and will fit my case without modding. I dont think it gets any better than that, of course, when im water cooled, im sure my theology will change.
I just dont want to pay $60 for two fans <_< there are times living in canada sucks.

I always thought the red wire was 5V, and the yellow was 12V, or vice versa. Why would the PSU have a 7V output?

As a warning, be very careful around any cables where you've switched the red and yellow wires. I did this for a couple of my case fans. Once, in my haste, I accidentally plugged this cable into my HD, and ended up killing it.

Last edited:
$60 for two? I live in Toronto, PM me for some stores which ship to Canada that are a *little* (a lot) cheaper that $30 a fan.

I have 6 120mm Evercool Aluminums , 1 80mm Evercool Aluminum (and 3 other fans too :() in the new full-tower case I am modding up ATM (heh - it is practically air cooling ;)).

I dunno if i have the wrong fans or sumthing, but on my fan conrtoler at 7 volts they are still pretty loud.

They dont have an annoying whine, but i expected my watercooling to be quieter than this, i only have 2 fans in my whole case.

fans.JPG

umm, eyah. thats how you can get 5,7 or 12v for the molex.

Back