• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 results questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

I ran Memtest86 and was questioning the results. I have four sticks 512mb of Kingston Pc3200 DDr, bought from them direct in 'matched pairs.' I ran the test on the whole assembly and had 'failed' results on test 3 and 4. I pulled one channel (dual channel Mobo) and ran again, failed. Pulled additional stick, leaving one, and ran the test again and it failed. I set it aside and installed it's brother, Passed. Consequentially, singly and in combination, all other sticks passed the test.
I'm considering the the first stick was the bad apple. My question was that the program had a tendency to hang at about 99% passed, so I called it 'passed.' A couple of the runs went right through and none of them showed a failed mark. Is this 'hanging' common with the program or something I should be worried about?

it might? i never had a hanging problem, and havent heard anyone else having one..... you might want to rma those sticks if you tested them within manu's standard/specs for those sticks since you did get a bad stick

Memtest86 is a very simple program based on the Linux kernel. If it crashes, it's certainly not because of a software bug. A crash is like a failed test, only worse.

I RMA'd the first set. Once I receive the replacements, I'll run them also. They have been running at 440 with nary a hiccup unitl I tries to oc further and misssed my multiplier(don't ask) and way overclocked it. They're running at 420 now. I'll definitly keep checking.

Back