• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6850 Double D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmallZixD

Registered
Whats the difference between this and this is it just the double fan? Sorry this is probably a stupid question I just want to make sure.

So should I just go with the double D? It will be cheaper with Mail in rebate so i dont see why not.

yeah, why not, but make sure that it will fit in your case and you psu can supply enough power.
Double fan recommended is 650W
single fan recommended is 550W

Minimum 500W.

the case is great, but you will bottleneck with this psu, it will work but if you want to use all the power of gpu at full, I recommend changing psu.
Also change psu if you intend to cross fire

AFAIK, the "double D" version has the xfx lifetime warranty. The single fan version does not.

Well I already ordered this PSU which seems more then enough for a single 6850(not sure how much more wattage an extra fan would really take?) On a PSU calculator I added extra HDD's and extra RAM and even added an extra 6850 and it was a good 20 to 30 watts under 600... From what I've heard PSU calculators over do the actual amount of wattage so I'm a bit confused.

Anyways I was planning on crossfiring later this year but maybe I'll just get a 6950 instead considering it will have more power then the crossfired 6850 anyhow. What do y'all think? Prices may even go down to make it a smarter idea by the end of the year anyways. Possibly just switching to a Nvidia card. I would also like to add that if I got a higher end card I wouldnt be looking to CrossFire or Sli as I'm not looking for a NASA PC cx just a high to ultra settings on FPS games and something like Diablo 3 maybe. Hmmmm looked at the 6950 option, unless it widens I may just crossfire.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the psu, will be enough for few years, if you don't plan on CrossFire or SLI

A 6850 will work nicely with games, I have 6670 OC and plays Battlefield 3 on high, good FPS.

Ok thanks, I guess I'll see how the 6850 does and if it's good I'll buy a new hard drive or something. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Just wanted to have a little update, I was checking my order status at Newegg and clicked on the link to the PSU, turns out it looks like I got it right before it went back up :)

Back