• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to recognize Hard Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hrdwrjnkie

So, set up my little server that could today, it's a dual PIII 450 -- nothing fancy but enough to serve files and still load KDE to surf the internet. I am using a GA-6BXD Gigabyte board, a Lite-On burner, and a WD1200 120GB HDD.

The BIOS refuses to auto-detect the drive. Yet, I can boot up off a CD (it sees the Lite-On fine) and access the Hard Drive with no issues. I went through an entire Mandriva install as well as booting into Knoppix and both times the drive was recognized fine. The Mandriva install was successful, partitioning, formatting, and copying. Yet the BIOS shows no HDD present, and refuses to boot off the thing.

Help anyone?

MB Linkage (in german, but specs are english):
http://www.gigabyte.de/Motherboard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-6BXD.htm

Does it have the BIOS version that allows the controllers to see drives larger than 64GB? Those old 440BX boards have issues with supersized drives.

Back