• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM 120mm fans with high static pressure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

Is there such a thing as a PWM 120mm fan with high static pressure? Which ones?

If not, what are some fans with high static pressure?

Thanks

These are the highest static pressure PWM 120mm fans with 12 volt working voltage that I'm aware of, the current static pressure champion is Servo G1238B12BBZP-00 while the highest CFM is 9CR1212P0G03.

38 mm thickness

Servo G1238B12BBZP-00
Speed : 6300 rpm
Airflow : 261 cfm
Pressure : 2.09 inH2O / 520 Pa
Noise : 67 dB
Weight : 480 gr
Power consumption : 53.4 Watt​
The one at the right -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6956886&postcount=58

76 mm thickness

Sanyo Denki 9CR1212P0G03
Speed : 6200 rpm
Airflow : 300 cfm
Pressure : 1.9 inH2O / 480 Pa
Noise : 70 db
Weight : 670 gr
Power consumption : 86.4 Watt​
Mud's Beast :D -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6410061&postcount=56

25 mm thickness

Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon Series D1225C12BBZP-00
Speed : 5400 rpm
Airflow : 150.1 cfm
Pressure : 0.6 inH2O / 150 Pa
Noise : 50.5 db
Weight : 200 gr
Power consumption : 13.68 Watt​
The left one -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6956858&postcount=56

Now, pick your own poison ears buster. :p

Last edited:
Delta and San Ace make them and sell them. I found some for under $10US, but they need to have their plugs swapped for standard ones.

You can also convert highspeed Gentle Typhoons to PWM. Link here.

I'm sure others will post about the 38mm PWM fans they found.

Wow thanks guys, but yeah I'd be staying around 1000-2000RPM.. don't want to fry my motherboard :D

Thread hijack alert: Could someone either pm me so I don't cause too much of a disturbance or just reply below for me...the definition of static pressure, and what it is good for? Thank you!

Thread hijack alert: Could someone either pm me so I don't cause too much of a disturbance or just reply below for me...the definition of static pressure, and what it is good for? Thank you!

Static pressure is the ability of a fan to push air through obstructions, the greater the number, the stronger the fan.

The CFM (Cubic Foot per Minute) figure is the amount of cubic of air volume moved per minute when the fan is running "WITHOUT" any obstructions either at it's intake or exhaust, its merely moving free air by the blades chopping action at zero static pressure (intake = exhaust).

While the static pressure figure is another extreme where the air is totally blocked to zero cfm, that is where the pressure picked up, simple example, say to inflate a baloon you need pressure of 100 Pa, then you need a fan must capable of generating greater than 100 Pa, other wise the baloon will not be inflated at all.

The relation between cfm vs static pressure usually was given as a chart by the fan manufacturer, for example like this here for Sanyo Denki 9CR1212P0G03 fan :

1222653776_1.gif

Most of the times, only reputable fan manufacturers have this kind of chart for their product and they're usually trustworthy compared to those crap fans out there.

RPM figure is just an indicative number, and imo is not very useful when it comes to fan's capability and performance. Its only useful when we're comparing two identical fans, otherwise its meaningless.

Last edited:
Bing, thank you very very much for the explanation. That really explained a lot of questions that I had about fans with their specifications. The balloon example really helped. So higher CFM and higher Static Pressure with lower dBA if you're worried about sound is best. Would you want fans with higher static pressure just in general, or would you want fans with higher static pressure for different tasks like for I'm guessing radiators? Thanks again!

No problem, glad it helps.

So higher CFM and higher Static Pressure with lower dBA if you're worried about sound is best.

Unfortunately we can't beat law of physics or at least with the current fan design & technology, higher cfm and/or higher static pressure always come with a price which is higher noise, its unavoidable. At the end, its up to us to find the balance and the best compromise between noise level vs cooling performance.

Would you want fans with higher static pressure just in general,

"Generally" ? Yes, thats the easiest part. :D

But specifically, for heatsink higher static pressure is better since we need to push the air through those cramped & packed fins, while for case fan, there is a noise factor needs to be consider, again, generally speaking, case airflow doesn't need the "push power" as heatsink does, unless your case inside full with restrictive stuffs and has tons of wires tangled like hell and with minimal exhaust holes that needs a powerful fan to push the fresh air thru it. :D

or would you want fans with higher static pressure for different tasks like for I'm guessing radiators? Thanks again!

This is the most difficult part to answer, it depends, like air heatsink, certain models with really tight fins perform and scale nicely with higher cfm/static pressure fans, while some like those fanless models really sux since their fins are designed for low air flow, its not worth the trouble with high power fan.

Suggesting you to check our in house heatsink reviews done by Mud, he always put this factor into his reviews for consideration which is a very precious reference imo, also I believe that is one of the reason he has that fat badass sanyodenki beast fan. :D

Although I don't have experience in WC, believe still the same condition applicable to radiator, higher density rad has better scalability.

Last edited:
Does the static pressure change along with the RPM? Say the fan has 2.09 inH2O / 520 Pa, is that at a specific RPM? Or is it somewhat the same throughout a certain RPM range?

Does the static pressure change along with the RPM? Say the fan has 2.09 inH2O / 520 Pa, is that at a specific RPM? Or is it somewhat the same throughout a certain RPM range?

It is at a specific RPM. Bing will explain this a ton times better, but depending on the PWM duty cycle, the fan will spin to X or Y RPM.

Ah.. I noticed that the curve goes up and down depending on voltage fed to it, but SP increases as airflow decreases. I see this makes sense since the airflow decreases even though the voltage is the same, meaning that the fan is going from free air to progressive obstruction.. Sweet deal.

Arn't Noctua fans suppose to have pretty high static pressure for relatively low noise ratio? Are they pretty good? i hope so cause i ordered one to put on the heatsync im getting :p

Arn't Noctua fans suppose to have pretty high static pressure for relatively low noise ratio? Are they pretty good? i hope so cause i ordered one to put on the heatsync im getting :p

Not sure which fan you ordered. I checked Noctua's PWM fan (NF-F12 PWM) and the spec sheet has it at 1500 RPM with 93.4 mm^3/h of airflow (~55CFM) and 2.61 mm of H20 of static pressure (25 PA).

So to answer your question... Yes; Noctua fans offer good airflow/static pressure to noise ratio. Having said that; I'd take any of the fans listed by bing on his post over the Noctua fan. I own two of the models he lists and either fan, when ran at 1500 rpm is whisper quiet while offering much higher figures in CFM and static pressure... Plus I like knowing that if I ever need to crank the speed up; they have the horsepower to push really hard; whereas the Noctua is maxed out at 1500 rpm.

Not sure which fan you ordered. I checked Noctua's PWM fan (NF-F12 PWM) and the spec sheet has it at 1500 RPM with 93.4 mm^3/h of airflow (~55CFM) and 2.61 mm of H20 of static pressure (25 PA).

So to answer your question... Yes; Noctua fans offer good airflow/static pressure to noise ratio. Having said that; I'd take any of the fans listed by bing on his post over the Noctua fan. I own two of the models he lists and either fan, when ran at 1500 rpm is whisper quiet while offering much higher figures in CFM and static pressure... Plus I like knowing that if I ever need to crank the speed up; they have the horsepower to push really hard; whereas the Noctua is maxed out at 1500 rpm.

The one you looked at (ie the one in my sig) is the one ive ordered. Im still trying to find a decent price on the fan controller i want, in the mean time ill proly just plug it in the mobo.

I don't really like Noctuas for heatsinks. The Gentle Typhoons are cheaper and do a better job. And for exotic fans, you can choose from a plethora of manufacturers that will actually be better than the Noctuas.

These are the highest static pressure PWM 120mm fans with 12 volt working voltage that I'm aware of, the current static pressure champion is Servo G1238B12BBZP-00 while the highest CFM is 9CR1212P0G03.

38 mm thickness

Servo G1238B12BBZP-00
Speed : 6300 rpm
Airflow : 261 cfm
Pressure : 2.09 inH2O / 520 Pa
Noise : 67 dB
Weight : 480 gr
Power consumption : 53.4 Watt​
The one at the right -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6956886&postcount=58

76 mm thickness

Sanyo Denki 9CR1212P0G03
Speed : 6200 rpm
Airflow : 300 cfm
Pressure : 1.9 inH2O / 480 Pa
Noise : 70 db
Weight : 670 gr
Power consumption : 86.4 Watt​
Mud's Beast :D -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6410061&postcount=56

25 mm thickness

Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon Series D1225C12BBZP-00
Speed : 5400 rpm
Airflow : 150.1 cfm
Pressure : 0.6 inH2O / 150 Pa
Noise : 50.5 db
Weight : 200 gr
Power consumption : 13.68 Watt​
The left one -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6956858&postcount=56

Now, pick your own poison ears buster. :p

OMG but that fans a so sexy!

The fans in my sig work rather well. I find at minimal (1,550RPMs) they put out a low pitched whine which I grew used to quite quickly. The controller on my Corsair H100 never ramps them up except when I turn the computer on so its always pushing the minimal 71CFM. Because these fans have a separate plug for power, which plugs straight into the PSU you don't have to worry about damage to your mainboard or fan controller. 1 plug goes into the PWM fan controller, the other into the PSU.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140567023940#ht_2940wt_1031

Wow thanks guys, but yeah I'd be staying around 1000-2000RPM.. don't want to fry my motherboard :D

You don't need to worry about your mainboard with these, the fan speed plug goes into your mainboard but there's a separate power plug to go into your power supply. ;)

With that fan you're looking at 1,550 to 5,500RPM though with airflow ranging from 71CFM up to 253CFM.

If installing on a rad you'll need longer screws, I found these worked just fine: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390340015732#ht_607wt_1031

Some nice shiny wire fan grilles both make the fans look sexy in your case and keep your fingers attached if you inadvertently put your fingers in while in operation.

Last edited:
OMG but that fans a so sexy!

The fans in my sig work rather well. I find at minimal (1,550RPMs) they put out a low pitched whine which I grew used to quite quickly. The controller on my Corsair H100 never ramps them up except when I turn the computer on so its always pushing the minimal 71CFM. Because these fans have a separate plug for power, which plugs straight into the PSU you don't have to worry about damage to your mainboard or fan controller. 1 plug goes into the PWM fan controller, the other into the PSU.

sorry mate,
I really need to ask you since I can see on your siggy that you're using the PFC1212DE.

so, does your fan keep spinning around 1500 RPM, while your controller pot on the very minimum position (dead left)?
what kind of controller are using now?

coz,
I also have a Delta PFC1212DE (the 3.24A version), but my fan will be at dead stop when the pot of my controller is on the most left position.

I use bing's PWM controller version to tame my beast,
I love it, but I want to make my fan keep spinning on the lowest pot position :D

thx :)

I just let the controller built into the H100's base plate do its thing. Noise is the same for quiet and balanced settings as the fan can't go as low as the controller tells it to go in the quiet setting anyway. If I go to the high performance setting it gets a little louder. Nothing like when you first power on the system though.

I went with those fans as it was fully wired up already with separate wires for speed control and power and I didn't need to change anything myself.

Oh, and those fans can't do 1,500rpm, they can do 1,550rpm though.....

EDIT: Ok, my fan is the 4.8A version also. I neglected to mention that earlier. Not sure if that would make any difference. I've never had a problem with the fans working, they just do. Are you're fans running from a separate power source to the PWM control wires also or not? Forgive my poor us of English right now, I've just finished a bottle of red. Tasted good though my mind is not working at its usual pace.

Last edited:
There are some differences beetween these two TFC1212DE's, the 3.24 is inverted pwm, the 4.8A-version is normal PWM. Also i think the 4.8A-version is a bit faster.
Connecting to a 2%-98%-controller, i can bring the 3.24A-version to full stop, the 4.8A-version is always running at it's minimum around 1.550 rpm. Same with the 0%-100%-controller.

delta_pfc1212de-4j46-0x8s3.jpg

Back