• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have any course of action to take with Newegg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Riebhie

I picked up a MSI P67A-G43 motherboard for a build I was doing, but I had to return it to Newegg because my memory wasn't compatible. Everything would run fine with two sticks of RAM, but not four. I disassembled the computer, carefully put all the parts back in their packaging, ordered a beefier board, and shipped the board off to Newegg for a refund.

A week later, I get notified that the RMA is denied because there's a bent pin on the CPU socket. Since the board worked fine with two sticks of RAM, the same CPU works fine in my new board, and as careful as I was with my disassembly, I am positive that this damage did not happen on my end or in shipping, but rather on Newegg's end during testing.

Does Newegg have a history of this and/or is there anything I can do about it?

Did you install the plastic socket cover on the socket before shipping?

Sure did. And this pin couldn't have been bent down while I was re-attaching that, because in the location on the socket where the bent pin is, the corresponding spot on the plastic cover is raised up. The heatsink was disassembled and repackaged while the CPU was still in place, locked down on the board. I took the CPU out, placed it back in it's box, and replaced the socket cover, in that order. The socket wasn't exposed for more than 30 seconds, and no work was done in the case while the socket was exposed.

Wow, I don't know what to say Riebhie. There is another thread right below yours with a big problem with newegg also. And it looks like their customer service is down the toilet on that one too. I guess that if you have to RMA anything with them nowadays, you better cover all your bases and photograph the parts before sending them back. Especially something like the socket on an Intel system where the handler on the receiving end could easily damage it and then try to lay the blame off on the person shipping the bord back.

And this is why it is "best practice" to take as many detailed pictures of the item you're returning before you send it in... Making sure that the pictures cover every bit of the board and that they are of high enough resolution that one could zoom in to the socket and see the pins clearly. That way when you send it in for RMA; you can notify them that you have high-res pictures of the board and that you can send them if they need them. This will stop them from trying to pull a fast one on you.

Dang. That happenned to me once. They blamed that my board has pins bent as well which I seriously doubted. Egg sucks sometimes.

While I did not have the same issue, my package I got the other day looked like an Amazon package. They placed the heaviest items on top of the motherboard box. The motherboard looks ok but the box was smashed.

*Can you RMA the board to the manufacturer, and them send the board back for a refund?

While I did not have the same issue, my package I got the other day looked like an Amazon package. They placed the heaviest items on top of the motherboard box. The motherboard looks ok but the box was smashed.

*Can you RMA the board to the manufacturer, and them send the board back for a refund?

One can try but if Newegg doesn't have sloppy record keeping, they'd have a note that RMA was iniitiated and refused due to "customer caused damage" issue and not issue any more RMA.

Better try to sell the freshly replaced board on classies or eBay than getting refund from Newegg

Back