• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Standby not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

I have a 560ti connected via DVI-HDMI to my Onkyo receiver which has the video forwarded to my TV. Standby doesn't work, and when my PC does go into standby, I can still see my receiver's blue screen and obviously not turning my TV off. This is my first HTPC as well as first receiver.

What I mean by standby is that my TV turns off if it receives no signal within 3 minutes so obviously it's still receiving signal from the receiver. Is this an issue with the receiver? Receiver is an Onkyo R-590. I've messed with standby options on the receiver but it still passes HDMI making the TV not turn off.

Since standby turns off nearly every device in the computer, it should be cutting the connection to the monitor. First thing I would do is plug the HDMI cable directly into the screen to see if it turns off. If it does, it is the receiver. If it doesn't, I would look in the BIOS for different standby "levels". Some motherboards have different levels of sleep, which I assume controls the number of devices that keep power. I don't use standby, so it isn't something I have lot of experience with.

I'm using S3 standby, I assumed it was the best option. But sorry, I had "standby" mixed up with turning off the monitor, which is what I'm more interested in. My monitor being my 46" TV. It all worked fine running my DVI>HDMI cable to my TV but I bought the receiver and enabled HDMI passthrough and the TV always has a signal apparently and won't turn off. I guess it's obviously an issue with the receiver but I've exhausted the menu options in the receiver and nothing seems to work.

I guess I'm hoping to hear that it's a common issue with receivers but I've never owned one before. Googling Nvidia, receiver, HDMI, etc reveals a mess of links with little to do with my problem.

If it works fine directly connected, it has to be the receiver. Did you verify the settings in your Power Plan has "Turn off the display:" set to a sane value? I'm guessing "yes" since this is on the basic configuration for power plans.

"turn off display" is set to 45 minutes, everything else is set to performance. Maybe my receiver doesn't support turning off HDMI when it receives no HDMI signa. That would be all that's required for my TV to turn off within 3 minutes. Oh well, I guess I could turn it off manually it's just I don't always remember to.

While not a solution, some alternatives could be to use a power strip with a "Master" outlet that will automatically shut off other outlets when the wattage drops below a certain level. I have my receiver setup in just this way with my APC battery backup unit.

Of course, the less expensive method would be just to keep the receiver remote close by and remember to hit the power button when you do power down the PC.

Back