• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is which?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

On AMD Overdrive, does it show the socket temp or the core temps?

I am also using hwinfo and there is two different cpu temps. One (or two of them) are cpu package and cpu (Tctl), however they shown the same exact information. On the mobo, it shows the cpu at a different temp. The package is constantly bouncing around 48-61. The mobo sensor shows 57 constant. Which of the two temps are core and socket?

I can take a screenshot if need be.

Thank you

AMDOD shows neither socket or core temps, at least not directly. What it does show is the degrees of temp left before you hit what's called TJMax. TJMax is the temperature at which thermal throttling will begin to happen in order to protect the CPU. So stay to the south of "0" when watching core readings in AMDOD.

With regard to hwinfo, package temp I'm guessing is the temp of the lid covering the CPU die but I'm not sure about that. Core temp is the temp of the processing cores themselves. On my Intel CPUs, all of them show that package temp and the temp of the hottest core is essentially the same. With the newer AMD CPUs I think package temp is what you should focus on if core temps are not given. Some reporting software, like HWMonitor show only package temp for the newer AMD CPUs manufactured in the last 5-6 years. Stable max package temp for the newer AMD CPUs is about 60c when overclocking.

CPU temp is usually a measurement taken from the socket area and is important because it tells you how hot the VRMs are getting. VRM (voltage regulation module) refers to the power producing elements of the motherboard that usually lie between the socket and the I/O ports at the back edge of the motherboard. You don't want the CPU temp to exceed about 70c on AMD socket AM3+ motherboards.

That is weird since the package temp is lower than the other cpu temp. Screenshot (5).png

So the 135 would be the core temps while the 124 is socket temp?

And would the max temps be 70 at socket and 60 at the cores or package?

Last edited:
the 135 F you refer to is the "socket" temp, or the vrm temp.
the cpu, fx 9590 temp is the processor temp.
with this kit you NEED to have a fan blowing air directly onto the heatsinks next to and above the cpu area.
I run the exact same kit and cooling it is really tough.

How would that look? I dont understand how to mount that fan, i have two in the side panel, on front middle and one back upper, with two and radiator and two intake and one exhaust in the case. I need more? My gpu was at 100% but when it lowered the temps are at 54 even.

magic, zip ties, baling wire???????

here's mine, these guys like pictures, but I truly suck with a camera......

Attachments

• PIC_1050.JPG
    PIC_1050.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
I dont understand how you mounted that lol. Does custom water cooling help with temps?

Also, all seven of my fans are server high cfm and high static pressure. Would mounting a normal fan be useless?

here's mine running the aod stability test, I assume you are running the same.
my cpu is just a hat one and the fact that the rig now hangs on the wall really just makes it that much hotter

AOD.PNG

with this cpu, most anything is useless.
they are just HOT!!!!!!
the higher the cfm the better.
custom water cooling is pretty much the only way to go with these and the guys benching them chill the water.
in the winter I take mine outside and many of the fx guys hang their rads outside in the cold.
another way is to plumb it so that your faucet feeds into the cpu block and then exits down the drain.
anything to cool the beast.
to me it looks like your vcore is much to high.

Actually i was only running the Folding program. With prime95, the temps go way past safe so i dont bechmark it. I kinda did screw up buying this cpu. But its all good. Just waiting for ryzen. i am only running a h115. but thank you for the help. I dont think ill end up adding a fan to the vrm. I will just run it till it dies or i get a new computer.

Both the gpu and cpu, and yes i am. If this cpu dies, i wouldnt get against running a 8320. ill just oc it.

the way they choose the chips for the 9590's leaves little headroom for overclocking so the best fx chips are still the 8350's, I've gotten 5.4 on water and many get 5.6 or higher on chilled water.
why not pop into your bios and drop your vcore a bit and see if you can get the clock a bit higher?

what gpu are you folding on?

vcore? how would dropping vcore voltage increase clock speeds?
Its stable at 5.0 and im playing right now with it at 5.0. at 131f during bf4.

and its a gtx980.

you can drop the vcore, this lowers the temps.
you can then raise the clock to use up the temp headroom or you can just run the same clocks but with cooler temps.
if you are cpu folding this will also reduce your power bill.

in the folding client do you have the gpu slot configured, client-type advanced, max-packet-size advanced?

No i did not mess with any of the settings. Ill check it out later.

What exactly is the vcore? and how does it interact with the cpu?

"vcore" is the voltage fed to the cpu from the voltage regulator,
your vcore is 1.488 in your screenshot, mine is 1.416, more voltage=more heat, more heat=less life and lower clocks.
you have the best board for am3 you really should learn to optimize it.

is your 980 making 400,000 ppd?
is it a 980TI?

Just a normal 980, windforce. you have 4.7 at 1.416? I dont think this chip is that well binned since i cant get it stable at 5.1 at 1.55. Maybe ill mess with it later. But is 56c really high while bf4?

max for the 9590 is 57c and for game, you're hot and the vcore looks high, what happens is as the cpu gets over 57c, it "throttles" or, declocks some to cool itself.

is your 980 making 400,000 ppd, if so you don't need to configure the slot, this is about what a 980 should produce, day in and day out.

it also looks like you're running win 10, if so, are you using safernetworkings antibeacon set to block all?

Yes sir, i got the antibeacon. And i am not sure what you are saying witht eh 400,000 ppd.

Okay, ill mess with the voltage. I dont want to go in the bios, ill use ai suite.

EDIT: Okay so after running AOD stability test at 1.43v for 10 min, i am running prime95 at 1.418v at 51. If i pass 10min of prime95, ill keep lowering vcore and then ill go into bios and set it to that voltage. Ill update with final results.

Last edited:
is there a voltage that is to low? or will it just crash if its to low. I am at 1.404 and running stable so far.

EDIT: Okay, I set my bios to 1.404, and booted. Ran prime95 for 10min stable. I will post results. I just don't feel comfortable going lower than that since even set to 1.404, it went up to 1.416. So i dont think this chip can handle anything lower than 1.404. Should i put it up to 1.416 and leave it at that? At idle, its at 1.404

Screenshot (6).png

Last edited:
Back