• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build Temp Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agpatel

Registered
So this is my first build in many many years and it is a WHS 2011 machine for now depending on how I like it.

I have speedfan installed to check some temps and have some questions that have come up regarding some

Hardware
CPU: i3-2105
MOBO: Asus P8H67-M Pro
Cooler: Noctua D14
HDD: WD Black 7200, Samsung SP 1 TBs
Case: Corsair 600T
PSU: CX600

All case fans are on high, and even with side panels off temps are the same..

Below is a screen shot of SpeedFan and SensorView

Question is I see my core temps (around idle) are at 21-22C (mobo bios also shows this as the cpu temp when i check them in the Asus Bios), but I ten see what both programs think is the CPU at 81C and another item which is AUX at around 90C what are those two showing the temp of. I assume if my cores are at 21C then I am good but what CPU reading is it referring to as Asus BIOS is showing CPU temps around the 22C mark.

ajl56x.png.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Well with a Noctua D14 cooler I would trust that the core temp readings are more accurate than the CPU temp readings. Core temps are the important readings anyway. Why don't you run Prime95 blend for 10 minutes and see what that does to the readings. Idle temp is not that relevant anyway. Load temp is the concern.

Once my storage drive finishes mirroring I will run Prime95 for a bit and see how it does under 100% loading.

Ran Prime95 for a bit and core 0 and 1 temps went to around 40C and the "CPU" temp went down a bit, with almost no delta in temp change. Do not know what temperature it is still monitoring as everything is still pretty chilly in the case.

After some searching around it seems like the CPU temp in speedfan may be the H67 (southbridge) chipset temps....does/would that 90C be correct for that...

As I said, have not build a desktop in YEARS so all of this is all new to me..

Back