• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x 8600 GT XXX or 8800 GTS 640

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
I have a 8800 GTS 640 Superclocked and think of selling it and get another 8600 GT XXX (I have one in another rig already) and run them in SLI on a 680 SLI board with an E6850

I need some extra cash in case anybody want to know why i want to get rid of such a great 8800 GTS

Question:

With upcoming games like crysis would the 8600's in SLI make the cut running at decent (1680 x 1050) frame rates or should i rather stick with the 8800 GTS?
Rest of my rig in my sig...

Thanks for the advice...

i would go with the 8800GTS better overall performance.

I know the 8800 GTS would be better in performance than the 2 x 8600 GT's, question for me really is will the 2 latter cards be able to handle Crysis and other similar games?

.... this question literally gets asked every other week... same answer every time... ANY 8800gts will KILL 2 8600gts's plain simple every time i dont care what you think...

i swear there should be a sticky on, 8600gts sli vs 8800gts

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=507833&highlight=8600gts+8800gts

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=506746&highlight=8600gts+8800gts

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=521520&highlight=8600gt+8800gts

took me all of about ohh 30 secs to search for thoes 3 threads....

sorry if i sound like an a$shole, but it gets annoying to see the same thread pop up all the time. :beer:

.... this question literally gets asked every other week... same answer every time... ANY 8800gts will KILL 2 8600gts's plain simple every time i dont care what you think...

i swear there should be a sticky on, 8600gts sli vs 8800gts

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=507833&highlight=8600gts+8800gts

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=506746&highlight=8600gts+8800gts

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=521520&highlight=8600gt+8800gts

took me all of about ohh 30 secs to search for thoes 3 threads....

sorry if i sound like an a$shole, but it gets annoying to see the same thread pop up all the time. :beer:

READ MY QUESTION IN MY THREAD....I know the 8800 will kill the 8600's but that is not what I asked. My question is will the 2 x 8600's be able to run latest games at decent FPS.

It also gets me annoying that people do not read the thread opening properly and then jump to conclusion....

READ MY QUESTION IN MY THREAD....I know the 8800 will kill the 8600's but that is not what I asked. My question is will the 2 x 8600's be able to run latest games at decent FPS.

It also gets me annoying that people do not read the thread opening properly and then jump to conclusion....

haha, yeah people don't read!

I think it would run fine!

As long as you are okay with dropping the quality settings...

EDIT: oh and make sure your PSU can run them

well lets think... if 2 8600gts's arnt as good as an 8800gts in current games, what makes you think they are going to be better than an 8800gts in games to come?

if you really need cash id figure something else to do, becides go through the hassle of sell one card and buy another.

well lets think... if 2 8600gts's arnt as good as an 8800gts in current games, what makes you think they are going to be better than an 8800gts in games to come?

if you really need cash id figure something else to do, becides go through the hassle of sell one card and buy another.

he knows the 8800GTS > 2x 8600gt. He wonders if he can GET MONEY BACK and still play games.

I believe if you want to downgrade, i'd say sell the 8800GTS and get a x1950pro or something. Or if you wait long enough, the 8800GT will be out shortly.

I was thinking the same dude. Talk about lack of logic.

The answer to OP, is... Noooooo.. you wont be able to. Unless you want t play it a 640x480.

he knows the 8800GTS > 2x 8600gt. He wonders if he can GET MONEY BACK and still play games.

I believe if you want to downgrade, i'd say sell the 8800GTS and get a x1950pro or something. Or if you wait long enough, the 8800GT will be out shortly.

thats like saying i have a huge truck for towing, but the gas milage is killing me, if i sell my big truck, can i get a little truck with better gasmilage and be able to tow the same weight... doesnt work like that...

and HONESTLY the 8800gt is NOT going to be better than a current GTS... think about it would you as a company put out a card that cost ALOT less then current stuff thats BETTER???

thats like saying i have a huge truck for towing, but the gas milage is killing me, if i sell my big truck, can i get a little truck with better gasmilage and be able to tow the same weight... doesnt work like that...

Going with your analogy - the OP is not asking whether he can tow the same weight, so it does not matter that the small truck cannot take the same load.

He is asking whether newer games will still be reasonably playable if he (effectively) downgrades to a 2x8600gt setup.

and HONESTLY the 8800gt is NOT going to be better than a current GTS... think about it would you as a company put out a card that cost ALOT less then current stuff thats BETTER???

Once again, it is not an issue of whether the 8800gt is better or worse than the 8800gts. It is an issue of whether or not the OP can get away with a cheaper setup and still be able to play games, all while saving some money

Last edited:

Sigh, you aren't being very intelligent. I would have stayed out of it, but you seem to be almost flaming him for his question.

It is merely a question of will it be "good enough." It has been said numerous times and repeated over and over by others what is his actual question is and yet you continue to harp on the same things.

Like the other poster said, your analogy is NOT valid because he isn't asking the truck to pull the same weight.

http://www.crysis-online.com/Information/System Requirements/

Those are the official requirements. It says it will even run on a 6800 GT, which obviously will have a difficult time, but even the recommended requirements ask for at least a 7800 series card. I think you will be fine, and you might even think about just leaving the 8600 you have alone and wait until Crysis to see if the added detail you want is worth an upgrade to either SLI or a new 8800, if you have the money at the time. Although, the recommended does ask for at least 512MB of graphics memory. How much does the 8600GT have?

Going with your analogy - the OP is not asking whether he can tow the same weight, so it does not matter that the small truck cannot take the same load.

He is asking whether newer games will still be reasonably playable if he (effectively) downgrades to a 2x8600gt setup.

Once again, it is not an issue of whether the 8800gt is better or worse than the 8800gts. It is an issue of whether or not the OP can get away with a cheaper setup and still be able to play games, all while saving some money

QFT.

It doesn't need to pull the same load.

I'm gonna say something else too, he doesn't care about the max eye candy like you do. Its obvious because he doesn't mind selling his 8800GTS. He has a reason to get money back, and i think it really isn't a bad idea. He's had his taste of nice looking graphics, and he believes it isn't as important as something else.

ok lets start over, if you really needed to sell your 8800gts, i definetly would not go with a 8600gts sli setup as vista sli drivers generally SUCK. Personally i would go with a 7900gs or a x1950pro.

and like the person above, id get rid of the raptors before the 8800gts... WHY would you want to get rid of such a beautiful card :beer:

sorry if it seems like i have been an ***, i definetly had a $ hity day... i need to sit and relax.

OP i am truely sorry if i have offended in anyway.

Sigh, you aren't being very intelligent. I would have stayed out of it, but you seem to be almost flaming him for his question.

It is merely a question of will it be "good enough." It has been said numerous times and repeated over and over by others what is his actual question is and yet you continue to harp on the same things.

Like the other poster said, your analogy is NOT valid because he isn't asking the truck to pull the same weight.

Those are the official requirements. It says it will even run on a 6800 GT, which obviously will have a difficult time, but even the recommended requirements ask for at least a 7800 series card. I think you will be fine, and you might even think about just leaving the 8600 you have alone and wait until Crysis to see if the added detail you want is worth an upgrade to either SLI or a new 8800, if you have the money at the time. Although, the recommended does ask for at least 512MB of graphics memory. How much does the 8600GT have?

Maverick, you and Aja's comments are just about the only that actually adds value to my question, with all due respect I think nd4spdbh2 comments are condescending and borderline offending, I'm not a friggin idiot, so I do not appreciate remarks like that....my questions are genuine and expect educated and half decent feedback...

Thanks for good feedback, the 8600 GT has 256 MB...
Besides, I have never experimented with SLI, so I thought I'd give it a try while saving some cash...:)

Or you could sell the 8600GT and buy another 8800GTS and be better than ever :D

Hi Brolloks :)

Back