• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a budget computer advice would be great

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eskimochaos

I need to build a computer for under 400$ including tax and shipping. I dont need a monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers or a CD of Windows Xp. I dont want to buy one, I want to make it.

I need this computer to access the web and to taxes on (for my dad)
I will not be playing games on this computer.

What i need...

CPU
Motherboard
Case
RAM
Video card if not built into MOBO
Power Supply
CD-ROM drive
Hard Drive... no bigger than 40gb need a reputable brand though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

NO MORE THAN 400$ shipped + tax

NO DELL or EmACHINES either.

Mobo: ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 Socket 754 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 60.99$
Proc: AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Palermo 75.50$
Mem: G.SKILL 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) 33.25$
CD-rom: LG Beige 52X CD-ROM IDE CD-ROM Drive Model GCR-8525BB 15.99$
HD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 6K040L0 40GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 45.49$
Total: 231$
Chose a PSU and a case and you are good to go.

Thanks, how are MSI motherboards? The one I am looking at is 55 dollars at the egg? Are they reliable.

I chose the same processor as you too.

depends on the type of board. what are you going to be doing with this computer? if youre gaming then i suggest either a 6600gt or x700pro. both are around the $100 price range.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
depends on the type of board. what are you going to be doing with this computer? if youre gaming then i suggest either a 6600gt or x700pro. both are around the $100 price range.

eskimochaos said:
I need this computer to access the web and to taxes on (for my dad)
I will not be playing games on this computer.

sorry about that. you should probably go with the setup that flip-mode suggested then except get a larger hdd. you know, you could probably save alot on parts if you just bought a cheap socket a cpu and mobo. the cpu's could be found pretty cheap on the FS/FT part of this forum.

Flip-mode posted an excellent list of parts that I'd agree would be suitable for you. Add in the Fortron 400w Blue Storm (very nicely priced) and I'd say your set. There is another much lower priced PSU that should be just as good, but I can't access newegg.com (their site is down.... :( )

eskimochaos said:
Thanks, how are MSI motherboards? The one I am looking at is 55 dollars at the egg? Are they reliable.

I chose the same processor as you too.

MSI isn't excellent @ times, so I'd say stay away from them. The motherboard Flip-mode listed is a great choice (and excellently priced w/ it's well performing on-board graphics)

Back