• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Millenium Glaciator Initial Findings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diablo6178

Registered
O.K. Since I was a runner up in the Naming Contest I received my Glaciator yesterday and thought that I would give you all a little of my own insight into it.

First off, it is HEAVY. I got the package for it yesterday and when I opened it up I thought some of it might have been the packaging material but it's all in the heatsink...Comes in a small white box the size of the heatsink with instructions and the ASGII

When I took it out of the packaging it has a plasic strip protecting the finish on the bottom...

The weight it much heavier than the HedgeHog I had and alot heavier than the FOP32 it replaced. I thought that it might crush the Palomino Core but it worked just fine. I took it off two or three time to check placement and ease of use...

The clip on the heatsink is very easy to use. It also has to be depressed to clip on the back side before you latch down the front...took me a few time to figure this out. The clip doesn't move once in place which is really very cleaver....

The noise coming off of the Fan isn't noticable over the 120MM Panaflo 100CFM fan next to it. I would dare to say that it's quieter than the Y.S. Tech fan on the FOP32, but it was always noisey compared to other fans just like it. I think it was on it's way out.

I have a Athon MP 1.2 Ghz "H" CPU running on the KK266R and compared to the AXIA at 1.4 with the FOP32 it runs alot cooler (Of course it's a Palomino right? Read on)

Voltage is default at 1.75 and wasn't needed to be raised to get to 1466 with the Glaciator...Idle temps with ACPI off is at 41-42C
Full load while running Prime95 is 46-47C and no higher...

Compared to the FOP32, AXIA at 1400, and 1.85 the Idle temps were 47-48C and full load was 55-56C...

All temps where monitored with a Thermsensor taped at the side of the core and on my Digital Doc 5.

I ordered the Athlon MP "H" from ENPC.com, which is located in New York, on Tuesday and had it by Friday.

This is my experience so far if you have more questions I'll try to answer them. Cheers, Diablo

Can you tell if the air flow from the sides of the fan cage is in or out? I'm guessing it's in, but haven't really seen one close up.

I'm still thinking about ordering one, but also thinking about the all copper Globalwin CAK38. A lot cheaper and you can replace the fan.
Does it seem to anybody else that the copper cage on top wouldn't seem to have enough heatsinking effect to justify it's construction?

Diablo, thanks a lot for all the info-- all of us were dying to know. does the thing's weight on the mboard scare you though? i'm lookin at the tabs on my socket and lookin at the ~1.5 lb size of that thing and thinkin no way. i think i might wait until i hear the first broken tabs story, and then decide from there. i would really rather not have somethin that heavy fall off, as i'll have a nice new gf2 pro 64 right under it. so, what would you say is the likelyhood of that happening if i don't jar it much? i'm not worried about the secureness of the clip, i trust that it'll stay on, but just the things it's attached to might not. but those little plastic tabs don't seem exactly strong enough to support 1.5 lbs to me, what do you think?

---edited, thanks for the warning, gerry. i'll watch my mouth next time, guys.

The force being constantly exerted on the socket's plastic tabs is determined more by the spring tension of the clip than the weight of the cooler. For example, a clip designed to provide 22 pounds of attachment force will look to each the plastic tabs to weigh about 11 pounds. So actually a light cooler with a higher tension clip. like Global Win uses, will put more stress on the tabs than a heavy cooler with a lower tension clip.

Of course, all this assumes that the computer does not get dropped or fall over. If we bring movement and inertia into the equation, then the weight of the cooler becomes much more of a factor.

Nevin

Tambo (Jun 10, 2001 06:30 a.m.):
Diablo, thanks a lot for all the info-- all of us were dying to know. does the thing's weight on the mboard scare you though? i'm lookin at the tabs on my socket and lookin at the ~1.5 lb size of that thing and thinkin no F***in way. i think i might wait until i hear the first broken tabs story, and then decide from there. i would really rather not have somethin that heavy fall off, as i'll have a nice new gf2 pro 64 right under it. so, what would you say is the likelyhood of that happening if i don't jar it much? i'm not worried about the secureness of the clip, i trust that it'll stay on, but just the things it's attached to might not. but those little plastic tabs don't seem exactly strong enough to support 1.5 lbs to me, what do you think?
hey Tambo, u might want to modify ur post asap to remove the "word" .... trust me lol

Maestro-- Over all yes I would recommend it. Even though it is heavy the cooling effect is awesome. to keep my CPU at 41-42C in the afternoon is geat...Let me tell you a little more. I work for my father as a System Admin for his office. I keep my computer there to work off of. In the morning the Temp in the server room (where the computer is) are about 73F at that time the CPU is at 37-38C Again with ACPI off. In the afternoon the temps in that room get above 78F because of the sun hitting the roof above it. Then the Temps are at 41-42C. I think that this is wonderfull performance.

Sammy-- The fan is stucking air in and blowing down on the Heatsink. As far as the copper cage justify its construction you should read Andy's origional documentation on the design. Those fins on the top construction Aid to bring more air in on the tip vortex creating additional airflow and lowering the noise of the fan. It also creates a more volitale air flow aiding the removal of heat. The fan could be replaced. The bottom of the fan has three mounts which aren't used the fans are glued into place. You could take this fan out and take another from it's housing and put it in there but it seems to do a really good job already.

Tambo-- Yes I was a little warry of putting it on there. I couldn't believe the weight when I took it out of the box. When you read that it wieghs a pound and a half it really doesn't sink in. It's not until I was holding it in my hand did I think that I might not want to do this. Brand new Palomino to say good bye to if anything did go wrong, and maybe my new Radeon SE too. But I place fitted it and it seems to hold very well. I think if Andy could redesign the clip to use all three ankor points on the socket then this would be a very safe design. I think that if you don't mess with it too much and your Socket tabs are strong I.E. don't have any bubbles in the middle of them then I think it would be O.K I don't think this thing should ever be transported in place though. I can just see someone hitting a bump in the road and hearing a very large thud, as about three hundred dollars worth of computer equipment is destroyed...not including the motherboard.

Again send me more questions and I'll see if I can fill them. Cheers, Diablo

Diablo6178- Thanks for all the helpful information.
I read both of the overclockers reviews.

Where can I Andy's documentation you mentioned?

What I was really questioning was the need to have the top fan cage made of copper and soldered to the base. Not being presumptuous in wondering about the designer's intent, but that I wouldn't think the temps at the top piece wouldn't be high enough to provide enough heatsinking to justify the construction.

But the test results sure justify the basic design.
I would really be curious to see how this design in aluminum would perform.

Hmm..this is making me uneasy...

first, do you think the thing could use a shim, copper or not?

second, what paste did you use? If you were to use arctic silver 2 w/adhesive, would you feel more secure about moving your case?

last, how tall is it? I can't get a good idea from the pics alone..is there room for a blowhole in the side of the case?

Sammy-- The information is on the site...

Vryce--Yes it can use a shim. I was using ASG, I already had it on the CPU and didn't want to clean it off and apply again. No I don't think that the using ASGII w/Adheasive is a good idea...What do you do when you need to upgrade? The weight of it is very intimidating...This is like the Swiftech in that it's an extreme cooling solution. As such you need to be careful with it.

As far as height goes it's as tall as the Hedgehog "WITHOUT" a Fan on it. Very compact design.

Cheers, Diablo

Vryce (Jun 10, 2001 01:35 p.m.):
-snip-
last, how tall is it? I can't get a good idea from the pics alone..is there room for a blowhole in the side of the case?

A blowhole will help any HSF run cooler. The only question you have to consider is that of whether you want to let the noise the HS fan makes have an easy way to escape from inside the case.

Hoot

Hoot (Jun 11, 2001 11:29 p.m.):
Vryce (Jun 10, 2001 01:35 p.m.):
-snip-

A blowhole will help any HSF run cooler. The only question you have to consider is that of whether you want to let the noise the HS fan makes have an easy way to escape from inside the case.

Hoot

couldnt you build a chute from elsewhere to stiffle the sound?

Diablo6178,
Thanks for the great review of your experiences. I was both happy and concerned when I read it. I am glad that you cleared up a few of my concerns in subsequent posts. My concern is the clip, From Andy's page "A small percentage of users may encounter a problem with attachment if the socket lug "hook" (Fig. "A") Has been worn or damaged from frequent installation and removal of high force clips as shown in Figure "B". The "hook" may possibly be re-established with a needle or rifler file although the only solution may be replacing the socket or mother board." I need to double check if my lug hasn't been damaged from installing my HSF several times. I would not want it to lose it after the machine has been running for a while. I don't want to hear a 1.5lb "crunch".

Earthdick-- I've had two other HSF and two other CPU's with this setup. Actually I've removed and replace CPU's and or HSF in the past couple of days at least 10 times. I had a Duron and FOP32 I sold and still have my AXIA and Palomino which right now I'm switching back and forth between. The AXIA has been running an average of 4C cooler with this heatsink. Also it's running at 150x9.5 at 1.85 Volts (1425Mhz). I don't know the Wattage for that but it is alot, The lowest temp is at 44C and the highest is around 48C, which if you read above used to be this chips low end. I wouldn't worry to much about the luggs being messed up unless you have a HSF with a really High force clip like the Arcticooler or other...

One quick question about the glaciator. From the few pics I've seen of it it appears to only have a two conductor plug (no third wire for rpm monitoring). Is this in fact the case? Or does it actually have 3 conductors and it's just bad pics?

Does the fan draw enough current that using a 3->4 pin converter might be in order to prevent the MB getting blown?

There isn't one included in the kit. I have mine hooked up to my Digital Doc 5 so as not to worry about it, but if that something that conserns you then go for it.

I've had this for a number of days, quite agree with Diablo's general impressions,

---First off, it is HEAVY.

It sure is. That's the scariest part of dealing with this heatsink, holding it. Working with it is much easier than you'd think when you're just holding it.

However, after a number of placements on and off, it stays firmly in place. I'm not concerned about it falling off. If I had to transport it, though, off it goes.

Then again, I wouldn't call that a disadvantage compared to the Swiftech. I wouldn't feel safe lugging a machine with that attached, either. Strapping it to the mobo can warp the mobo, and pull the heatsink away from the CPU, which can be quite as disastrous.

---The clip on the heatsink is very easy to use. It also has to be depressed to clip on the back side before you latch down the front...took me a few time to figure this out. The clip doesn't move once in place which is really very cleaver....

Agreed. I feel a lot more comfortable putting this one on and off than any other heatsink I've had. Just lay the machine down flat when putting it on and off, and you should have no problems.

---The noise coming off of the Fan isn't noticable over the 120MM Panaflo 100CFM fan next to it. I would dare to say that it's quieter than the Y.S. Tech fan on the FOP32, but it was always noisey compared to other fans just like it. I think it was on it's way out.

I would call the noise level comparable to that of a medium-level fan. Definitely a good deal quieter and less annoying than a 7K Delta.

---I have a Athon MP 1.2 Ghz "H" CPU running on the KK266R and compared to the AXIA at 1.4 with the FOP32 it runs alot cooler (Of course it's a Palomino right? Read on)

---Voltage is default at 1.75 and wasn't needed to be raised to get to 1466 with the Glaciator...Idle temps with ACPI off is at 41-42C Full load while running Prime95 is 46-47C and no higher...

---The MSI temperature probe is screwed up; it reports high, and it reports erratically. We put a temperature probe taped to the CPU (1333 AYHJA) core, and got a temp of 47C running SETI@Home and CPU Stability Test simultaneously at 1500Mhz @ 1.85V. System temp: 25-27C. This works out to about 100W, and heats the CPU up more than just running Prime. I think that's the main reason why some of our numbers tend to be on the low side.

We measured the back of the CPU right where the MSI probe is located, and got a max of 51C. The MSI probe differed from Joe's thermometer from anything from 5-15C too high when revved up, and 3-5C too low when idle.

MBM used the Via sensors, and reports exactly the same temperature as PC Alert III. Interestingly, the latest version of Sandra reports: System monitor device implementation is known to vary.

Back