• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a dell laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasrawy

Hey all,
I would like to know if there is a way to overclock a locked-BIOS laptop such as a dell inspirion 1564. I have tried ATI tray tools, rivatuner, gpu clock and msi afterburner all to no avail, when I open such a program the clocks are either already shown to be maxed or some message or the other pops up saying that the clock speed is unadjustable.
I have an extra cooling pad under the laptop at all times while gaming so heat is less of an issue (it's still a dangerous I know). I have a mobility 4330 gpu in the laptop and I'm using windows 7 64 if that matters.
thanks in advance

setFSB would be the first place I would look for overclocking the CPU. But oyu need to find the PLL for your board in order for it to work.

As you know, its not a good idea to overclock a laptop, but at least you have an extra cooler in there.

Wait are you only looking ot overclock the video card? Not sure about that one.

yea should've been more clear about that sry, I mean to only overclock my gpu

I was able to overclock the HD4330 on an HP. You do need modified drivers to do that by my understanding. I forget the site I went to, but the HD4330, once overclocked, can actually handle BFBC2 on low settings slightly better (higher FPS) then SLI 8800GTs on high settings.

I managed to overclock my Mobility Radeon 3650 from:
Engine Clock: 600MHz - 735MHz OC
Memory Clock: 500MHz - 615MHz OC

I am currently uploading a videoguide on how to overclock a Mobility Radeon :) I will post it here as soon as it's uploaded!

thanks grubbluck ;) will try and post results soon

Edit: so I tried it and it works great :D no overheating (just 1 degree!) with an increase of 200 MHz in the clock speed and about 150 in the memory (that's all it would let me go :(). Just one gripe: I have now hit the artifact wall it seems and can no longer continue OC'ing while stable. Can I adjust the voltage of the card to overcome this or is that just overkill? and if I can how may I do that exactly? rivatuner does not allow me to temper with the voltages. thanks a bunch guys for the help ;)

Last edited:
That sounds really good, glad I could help you.

Volt mod might be possible, haven't thought of it.
But I don't think you will get so much better performance either way, but why not try... it's fun ;)

Back