• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M4MD

My first time building my own. This will be primarily used for music and movies, with some light gaming here and there. Budget for this is $800 and this comes in right on target.

CPU- Intel Q9400
Mobo- Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
RAM- Gskill 2x2 GB (6400cl5d)
Video- GeForce 9800 GT
HDD- Seagate 1TB 7200.12
PSU- OCZ stealth xtream 600w
Samsung DVD drive
Case- NZXT Tempest

Total cost- $797

What do you think about this set up?

looks good to me...
But in my opinion you could save money by buying a cheaper case...
did you consider getting a Blue Ray player?
did you factor in the cost of the OS??

OS is taken care of won't cost me a dime (a buddy of mine has an extra copy of Vista he is going to give me;) ), and $79 seemed pretty reasonable for the case. Any suggestions on a lower priced case with plenty of room for future expansion?

Don't really need a blu-ray player atm. Maybe in the future but not right now.

Case...build your own...

Other wise i realy dont have any ideas at this time. I often hit second hand shops and find old crap comoputers But with good cases...
just a thought

I have a Tempest... it's a pretty decent case. Easier on cable management than an antec 900. However, if you're going to use it to watch movies, get a fan controller, so you can turn them down when you need too. ;)

Case...build your own...

Other wise i realy dont have any ideas at this time. I often hit second hand shops and find old crap comoputers But with good cases...
just a thought

Lol, build your own case? That can be the case for people with hand skills that can easily work with hardware sheets or woods and things, but thats not going to happen if he doesn't have all the tools to cut the metal plates, drill holes, refine them, paint and other things if he does want the desktop to look like a real computer.

I have a Tempest... it's a pretty decent case. Easier on cable management than an antec 900. However, if you're going to use it to watch movies, get a fan controller, so you can turn them down when you need too. ;)

And I have to agree on that :attn:

Lol, build your own case? That can be the case for people with hand skills that can easily work with hardware sheets or woods and things, but thats not going to happen if he doesn't have all the tools to cut the metal plates, drill holes, refine them, paint and other things if he does want the desktop to look like a real computer.

Define what you mean by "real computer" I know a guy that makes custom computers in side of 2 old ford hubcaps. (wish I had a picture they are real cool. he uses thse tinny MB's that use the Atom CPU's)

Define what you mean by "real computer" I know a guy that makes custom computers in side of 2 old ford hubcaps. (wish I had a picture they are real cool. he uses thse tinny MB's that use the Atom CPU's)

Something that looks like a rectangle with normal PCI slots and place to mount the PSU unit. I should have said normal but what you defined I think isn't a work of a 12 year old because I don't think my little brother can make custom cases.

I'm not trying to be rude by the way, and that would look cool and I would have to agree on that :)

But something like this I would have to disagree that it looks good

case+back.jpg

Don't get LGA775...

Wait for Core i5 CPUs... seriously. Early tests shows that it blows all of AMD's CPUs out of the water and the prices are bloody cheap! We're only like 2 weeks away from it. I mean if you don't care then go for the Q9400.. Just my opinion.

Don't get LGA775...

Wait for Core i5 CPUs... seriously. Early tests shows that it blows all of AMD's CPUs out of the water and the prices are bloody cheap! We're only like 2 weeks away from it. I mean if you don't care then go for the Q9400.. Just my opinion.

I am going to agree but would suggest AMD if he needs it now. What's the actual budget?

Rawrz you beat me ;)
I would prefer Vapor-X for 4890 though, works quite well but 4890 generally requires good chassis airflow~

I have a complete and unrelenting hate for Sapphire. They are buy far the worst GPU vendor you could ever deal with. If you ever have a problem and need am RMA prepare for the most aggravating experience of your life.

Back