• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increasingly frustrating graphic artifacts and driver failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Datsik

Before I say anything, here is the computer I am working with:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/6/2010, 11:42:02
Machine name: POUNDITGOOD
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Aurora
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12278MB RAM
Page File: 2337MB used, 22218MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 460
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E24&SUBSYS_083D10DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4065 MB
Dedicated Memory: 993 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: iH252
Monitor Model: iH252
Monitor Id: HSD2214
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.5896 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.12.5896
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/9/2010 16:38:00, 12471400 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4D64-11CF-6664-31281FC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0E24
SubSys ID: 0x083D10DE
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem58.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section012:8.17.12.5896:pci\ven_10de&dev_0e24
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C

So I bought this new computer about two months ago, and its beginning to **** me off beyond reasoning. I'm not very experienced when it comes to hardware and software, but I like to think I get can understand most of it when I try.

About 3 weeks after I got my computer, the monitor started flashing and then eventually failing/recovering over and over. I had no idea how to identify the problem and I couldn't really operate it well enough to figure it out. So I called a computer tech to come into my house and fix it.
He ran a hard disk check and then updated drivers, and found the problem had something to do with the alienware command center program, that was crashing and causing my computer to freeze while playing games. He uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and had me start up some applications to test it out. About half an hour after he left the program started crashing again so I said F it and uninstalled it for good. This program (called Alienware Command Center) was responsible for changing the color of my lights on the rig, temp and fan monitoring (idk if it could change the rates) and some sorta graphics module. After I uninstalled it the computer began working normally and I thought I 'fixed' it and began using it normally.

Thought being the key word there.

My display driver has started crashing again this past week. On the weekend I opened the case and use compressed air to clean out any dust and see if that worked. It seemed to fix it temporarily, but this afternoon it started again.

I usually run rainmeter, chrome, world of warcraft, team fortress 2 or crysis or VLC at any given when I use my computer. It doesnt seem to tax the CPU or GPU from what I was seeing on my rainmeter interface. I downloaded MSI afterburner this evening and noticed that my first GPU was running at a temp of 67 and my second was at like 40ish. The first fan was at 25% and the other at 0. This seems to be the default.
The usual problem is that when I start a game (ill use world of warcraft as an example), there are small artifacts that increase with size and frequency untill the game crashes. The problem then transfers onto my desktop and my background/windows explorer experiences the same problem. This is all with frequent display crashes mixed in.\
I've tried to load 3DMark Vantage benchmark thing, and it gets to the Jane nash load screen and then it closes itself.

As I have been writing this, i've been running afterburner and watching the temps. All I am running is chrome and afterburner, and this is after shutting my computer down and restarting. My GPU1 has reached 90C and number two is at 34C. The fan speed for one is 25% and the second is at 0. The usage for GPU 1 is 0, and the second is hovering around 7% I have lost the graphics of my windows explorer (the close, minimize, maximize buttons on the top right) and am experiencing weird polygons appearing on my desktop.

I was wondering if you guys could walk me through something to figure out what is wrong, anything, before I end up taking a flamethrower to my desk :screwy:

Repost this over in the video card section or hopefully one of the mods will move it over there for you, since this is the memory section. Sorry I can't help you but you will get better help over in that section.

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz 6.3 4.0
Memory(RAM) 2.00 GB 5.5 4.0
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 4.0 4.0
Gaming graphics 763 MB Total available graphics memory 5.1 4.0
Primary hard disk 213GB Free (283GB Total) 5.6 4.0
Windows 7 Home Basic

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Inspiron N5010
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 283 GB
Disk partition (C:) 213 GB Free (283 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics
Total available graphics memory 763 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 699 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.2104
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Hi guys am Stephane here's my querry how to increase my graphic memory to its max available???
While going to buy my laptop i saw on the pamphlet the graphic memory was 1gb well from the specs its obviously not and now i would love to know what is this dedicated/shared memory and how i can get my Dedicated graphics memory from 64 MB to the available graphics memory 763 MB as on playing games i have had the error message i don't have enough graphic memory though i have a total of 763mb!!!!!

here are the sprecifications of my laptop:
Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz 6.3 4.0
Memory(RAM) 2.00 GB 5.5 4.0
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 4.0 4.0
Gaming graphics 763 MB Total available graphics memory 5.1 4.0
Primary hard disk 213GB Free (283GB Total) 5.6 4.0
Windows 7 Home Basic

System
--------------------------------------…

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Inspiron N5010
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 283 GB
Disk partition (C:) 213 GB Free (283 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics
Total available graphics memory 763 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 699 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.2104
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

DATSIC
first thing to try , shut off computer completly, wait 2 minutes, then trun back on.

in MSI afterburner select the first GPU, meaning the first one in the configurations, or the one that shows a Fan speed, and Crank up the fan speed to 100.
test.
then slowly try and figure out how to control the fan in afterburner by making an appropriate fan "curve" or graph, that cools the video card (the first one of 2 ) without it going so high in temps.

for the initial problem you had, it COULD be that the alienware software has the fans set to low TOO, the brunt of your problems COULD stem from not enough active cooling, going on for the condidtions. the User of such a grand computer, would probably have to reign in the software before the warrenty ran out, before they would know anything.

with the stupid command center, which aparentally lots of people have problems with. if you could CONTROL the fans, then you should have learned how to control the fans.
if i was you (but you aint me) i would have selectivly shut OFF ASPECTS of the command center, attempted to discover the actual problem ITEM. Mabey tried thier update of it. and in the end i would have probably JUST used the fan control aspect and thrown the rest in the trash.

IF the simple fan control part still failed , for some $30 i could get a different fan controller with thermal probes, preferably all hardware and no software needed, and use it instead.

2 months, man i wonder if that computer would fit up some sellers backside :) but i would get over it quick.

Last edited:
Back