• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD to Release Their Own Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD today announced that they will be releasing a line of AMD-branded memory. From partners Patriot Memory and VisionTek will come AMD memory ranging from DDR3-1333 to (eventually) DDR3-2133. They will have three lines of memory available, Entertainment, Performance and Radeon. It is also equal opportunity memory, with planned support for Intel XMP profiles and compatibility with Intel platforms.

amd-mem-strategy2.jpg

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting strategy, not a whole lot of money in the low-end RAM game. I figured that was why OCZ left RAM and focussed more on SSD.

I fear they may be pushing it too far with this move. Wouldn't that put them close to having a monopoly with having CPU's, GPU's (and their multi-card technology), and now Memory?

Bit of an unexpected move though, at least in my opinion.

hmm odd you are right not much money in RAM
maybe they hoping ppl who buy AMD CPUS and GPUS will go for the RAM too

I fear they may be pushing it too far with this move. Wouldn't that put them close to having a monopoly with having CPU's, GPU's (and their multi-card technology), and now Memory?

Bit of an unexpected move though, at least in my opinion.

Doubt it. For CPUs, there's Intel, for GPUs there's Nvidia, and there are tons of other memory manufacturers. Plus this'll work with Intel systems. AMD would need an overpowering majority in those markets and abuse it for this to put them in a bad spot. It looks like they are just trying to put out ram that would take advantage of their APUs.

What a joke; AMD continues to make terrible business decisions. Hey guys lets enter a market that is already saturated and expect to turn a profit. :popcorn: Apparently AMD thinks its Apple

Who are you to judge if it is a good move or not?
Certainly not Steve Jobs

Well, I must say that on this one, I agree with Sentential. Did you miss the 3 years long Bulldozer winning strategy?

And he might not be Steve Jobs, but he might have brain...

UHHH? This has an AMD label on it but it is not made by AMD. It will not be botched unless there is a flood like happened with HDDs.

Does seem a bit strange IMO. Could you ever imagine Intel branded RAM?

Why bother unless they would be sourcing/binning their own RAM chips for tight quality control? Re-branding seems like something a small 3rd party RAM brand would do. Is finding compatible RAM for AMD systems difficult or something? That would seem like the only "benefit" of using AMD branded RAM in an AMD system. I doubt many Intel users would buy AMD branded (re-branded ;) ) RAM. The RAM market-segment is already so saturated - many have pulled out due to "over-crowding"...

:cool:

Does seem a bit strange IMO. Could you ever imagine Intel branded RAM?

Why bother unless they would be sourcing/binning their own RAM chips for tight quality control? Re-branding seems like something a small 3rd party RAM brand would do. Is finding compatible RAM for AMD systems difficult or something? That would seem like the only "benefit" of using AMD branded RAM in an AMD system. I doubt many Intel users would buy AMD branded (re-branded ;) ) RAM. The RAM market-segment is already so saturated - many have pulled out due to "over-crowding"...

No, you are wrong, AMD knows better!:screwy:

Try to search the word "bulldozer" in the article. That's what you missed.

You also missed another point: AMD shares something near 18% and with the mobile sector growing they need their APU to be competitive.

Try to search the word "bulldozer" in the article. That's what you missed.

You also missed another point: AMD shares something near 18% and with the mobile sector growing they need their APU to be competitive.

OK, let me explain:
bulldozer strategy=failure. Not talking about the product itself, but about the way they handle their new products and projects.

4 Gigs for $28, which are more or less the price of the PNY166/cas8 on newegg.

STill don't see the point.

Unless they are going to under cut the already "slim-to-none" margins, then I also don't see the point of marketing RE-BRANDED RAM :)

Yes, they can set their own price (on RAM they are buying from someone else that also sells their RAM at retail) - but it's not like RAM margins are crazy high to begin with. You want lower CAS to help your APU? Buy RAM with the ratings you want from the original binner - not the 3rd party "re-seller".

Time will tell :cool: (might take a while for these to surface if Bulldozer is any indication of future timelines for AMD :D )

I thought this has been available for over a year, however it seems like only a few months as engadget reported on this back in august. I really though I read about this almost a year ago though :S

What is new though is 2133 MHZ memory. Awesome!

EDIT: ah just read the new press release radeon will be 1866MHz

As for who makes it? Patriot and Visiontek :)

Last edited:
Gave this some further thought...

The point is price control. By partnering with 2 RAM manufacturers, they establish greater influence over price points.

Through that control/influence, they want to ensure the path is paved for APU platforms which is their fastest growing market.

This is the point of the move. Securing that path.

@Randyman: If you think they are buying it from someone else, they aren't. The manufacturers make them, and when they come off the line they get a different sticker. What can AMD offer in exchange? Guaranteed premium distribution and increased volume, yielding volume discounts for all parties, and decreased price.

Who is paying who? That is anyones guess, but I can say for certain AMD is nearly paying cost for each stick, if not less while the manufacturers make up the difference on volume. The RAM manufacturers are the big winners in the deal, and the payoff from going in together for AMD is greater control in a market they don't directly compete in, which is critical to their future products in their largest growing market.

@Randyman: If you think they are buying it from someone else, they aren't.

Huh? Patriot manufacures the RAM in their own USA facility last I checked. Patriot will sell to AMD - AMD will sell to retailers. Patriot also sells their own RAM directly to retailers. So how is being an extra "middle man" away from the manufacturer going to lower AMD's pricing to Retailers?

I agree quantity can help to lower pricing, but there is also the fact that AMD will need to make some sort of profit on this venture (on top of the retailers) to keep stockholders happy ;)

Just seems odd to me in general. Want fast RAM to help boost your APU performance? Buy some of the RAM that's already available from numerous RAM brands IMO...

Seems aimed at boosting AMD's Marketing/Image to me - but I guess that's a part of doing business (making yourself look good)...

They probably should have just had Patriot come out with Patriot branded RAM (and let Patriot handle the sales), but marketed as "AMD Series" or something...

Last edited:
Back