• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wi-fi no internet hlp plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

I am working on someone's computer, winXP sp2 which has internet down. They have a wi-fi conection to a router in another room. The thing is I am able to ping the modem, the other computer and on the network just fine. Also the network wi-fi properties has all the green lights on and says that the network has been found and receiving fine. But not able to get out with internet, either with the browser or with ms messenger etc. no viruses or spyware found. The other computer can surf fine. I did a reinstall of winxp to no avail. I was wondering if perhaps the user had inadvertantly disabled a service, as i recall once doing a reinstall to fix an audio problem on another computer which turned out to be a windows audio service problem and the reinstall did not re-enable the service. any ideas appreciated.

thx.

I think they may have a wireless internet setting disabled on the router. I know for sure that Linksys routers have this option and it seems that it fits the symptoms. Can you list what network hardware is being used ? Router, adapter ... etc ?

i'm at home now, but as i recall it was lynksys router and cards. i didn't see a button on the router, but i'll check again.
thx

Back