• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT Phantom Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehYoyo

Hey everyone. I'm going to get an NZXT Phantom case soon.

I'm wondering this:

I plan to liquid cool my system when I collect the necessary funds and research, but what I'm wondering is this:

Does anyone who has the case (or the rep) know whether I have enough space to attach a 2x120mm radiator to the two 120mm fans and then tack on two extra 120mm fans to the radiator for a push/pull config?

Thanks.

Eeeeeeeeh, I suppose. It would depend on the thickness of Rads/Fans. PErsonally, I'm not a fan (heheheheheh no pun intended) of push/pull configs, I think they're pretty useless unless they're actually mounted outside of the chassis.

Why not just grab a 240 rad, if you don't mind me asking?

Eeeeeeeeh, I suppose. It would depend on the thickness of Rads/Fans. PErsonally, I'm not a fan (heheheheheh no pun intended)
:rofl:
of push/pull configs, I think they're pretty useless unless they're actually mounted outside of the chassis.
They don't get more airflow? That was actually something that I was debating - is the pull by the second set of fans made useless by the push of the fans on the other side of the rad?
Why not just grab a 240 rad, if you don't mind me asking?
That's what I meant. Sorry 'bout that :(

The problem with push pull is that your really only pushing the same temp from inside the case. It's not really about airflow, but about temps. And you can get essentially the same temps with just a pull setup. Mileage varies depending on Fans and the quality of a Rad, but the difference is usually pretty negligible inside a chassis.

And yeah, the 240 rad should fit just fine. Is this your first time watercooling?

The problem with push pull is that your really only pushing the same temp from inside the case. It's not really about airflow, but about temps. And you can get essentially the same temps with just a pull setup. Mileage varies depending on Fans and the quality of a Rad, but the difference is usually pretty negligible inside a chassis.
But wouldn't I be pulling the air in from the outside? Is that how the 2 120mm fans are set up? If not, I can just reverse them.
And yeah, the 240 rad should fit just fine. Is this your first time watercooling?
Yup. :D

But wouldn't I be pulling the air in from the outside? Is that how the 2 120mm fans are set up? If not, I can just reverse them.

Yup. :D

You could do that. It's all in preference. There won't be an issue with that.

For first time watercoolers, I typically recommend going with an XSPC Raystorm kit. Awesome CPU block.

If you want to go custom, then expect around 300 bucks at minimum to get a good loop going.

You could do that. It's all in preference. There won't be an issue with that.

For first time watercoolers, I typically recommend going with an XSPC Raystorm kit. Awesome CPU block.

If you want to go custom, then expect around 300 bucks at minimum to get a good loop going.

Wow. Really? I was thinking 'round $200... (this is an edit to my previous thinking) oh shoot. You're right. :/

How much are average kits?

Well, the XSPC Raystorm kit with 240 rad is on Sales at Performance-PCs for 229.

The Raystorm block is one of the best CPU blocks on the market right now, and their radiators are sexy too.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33662

To give you and idea of a custom loop:
Reservoir (150ml) about 50 bucks.
Radiator (240) between 40-80 bucks depending on brand.
Pump (D5/Laing/MCP655) 70 bucks.
Tubing 2.00-3.50 a foot.
Standard fittings: 2 bucks each, or Compression fittings 7.50-16.00 a piece.

So right there your easily in the 300 dollar range. The XSPC kit is a phenomenal kit, especially for first time watercoolers.

To give you an idea of my loop:
2x 60ml Bitspower Reservoirs: 34 each
Black Ice 120 radiator: 50 bucks
Swiftech 360 radiator: 75 bucks
Aquaero 5 Pro Controller: 150.00
Aquaero 5 Pro Waterblock: 30 bucks
MCP655 Pump and Bitspower dress kit: 169.99
Raystorm CPU block: 65
Monsoon Compressions: 7.50 x8
Bitspower 90 degree fitting, compressions, crystal link (probably about 70 bucks)

And I have yet to get a GPU block. :D

Yoyo,

I know we've got an expert on-hand but I figured I'd chime in and just say that depending on how many hard drives you have and if you're willing to mod your case, you should be able to fit just about anything behind those two fans. The small HDD slots are removeable with a couple screws and the large one is easily removed by drilling out a couple of rivets. You can put the smaller tray just about wherever you want in a variety of ways to make room for whatever radiator you'd like.

As for the push-pull thing...this probably belongs in a different thread, but I think the reason there isn't a whole heck of a lot of gain but going push-pull is because of the type of fan typically used. People do it (if I'm understanding things right) because they're using high CFM fans with somewhat low static pressure stats. Use a pusher and a puller and then the perceived static pressure is significantly higher, giving you more CFM through the restrictive radiator. When they use high static pressure fans they only need a push or a pull because it overcomes the resistance more readily. Or I could just be way off base here and in reality it's because the gnomes throwing the air molecules out of the fan just get tired more easily. Who knows. :shrug: hehehe

I believe they are the FN 120 fans, so about 48 CFM. Not too much, but they are quiet (25dBA).

Weatherlite is correct as well. If you're going to do push/pull, you'll want high CFM fans. Typically with higher CFM's you'll also increase dBA as well. So just keep that in mind. This can all be controlled of course using a Fan Controller.

I believe they are the FN 120 fans, so about 48 CFM. Not too much, but they are quiet (25dBA).

Weatherlite is correct as well. If you're going to do push/pull, you'll want high CFM fans. Typically with higher CFM's you'll also increase dBA as well. So just keep that in mind. This can all be controlled of course using a Fan Controller.

Which is integrated into the case, right?

I think I'm just going to do a push config...less space and seems alright.

I can fit a rad into the space, right? It'd be something like 40/50 mm wide.

Which is integrated into the case, right?

I think I'm just going to do a push config...less space and seems alright.

I can fit a rad into the space, right? It'd be something like 40/50 mm wide.

It has a controller but they are just sliders so you have no immediate way of knowing what the RPM is unless you have a monitoring program up on the screen.

As for space, there is so much space in that case it's unreal! I can honestly see the possibility of being able to put a rad on the side fans, on the floor of the case (two vents built in for it), in the front of the case where the 140mm fan goes, up where the two 200mm fans go....heck, probably even where the side 200mm goes!

It has a controller but they are just sliders so you have no immediate way of knowing what the RPM is unless you have a monitoring program up on the screen.

As for space, there is so much space in that case it's unreal! I can honestly see the possibility of being able to put a rad on the side fans, on the floor of the case (two vents built in for it), in the front of the case where the 140mm fan goes, up where the two 200mm fans go....heck, probably even where the side 200mm goes!

Hmmmmmm...my other alternative would be to hook up the radiator at top, where the 200s are.

Would a single 200mm rad be good to cool a CPU and a GPU, neither under super-hard stress? Ideal temperatures would be about 20-35 C.

(Alternatively, I go w/ a 400mm rad up top)

Don't go 200mm. The Phantom's top area were drilled before there were any industry standard on 200mm fans, and therefor your rad probably won't fit up there. Go with the 240 XSPC kit I linked to you. It well worth it for a first time watercooler.

Don't go 200mm. The Phantom's top area were drilled before there were any industry standard on 200mm fans, and therefor your rad probably won't fit up there. Go with the 240 XSPC kit I linked to you. It well worth it for a first time watercooler.

Alright. I'll definitely consider that when I'm ready to start going liquid.

Thanks for all the help!

Hey everyone - new question/:bump:

I've seen reviews of NZXT's case fans on Newegg...people say that they only fit w/ the Phantom, which is fine - I'll be getting them for the Phantom anyways. But do normal fans fit the case? I'm thinking of going w/ NZXT's 200mm Green LED fan (for the top to combo w/ the blue - or should I get dual blues?) as well as using two third-party fans - one 200mm and one 140mm.

Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, all 140mm, 120mm, 80mm, etc fans have a standardized screw pattern so a 120 will fit a 120, will fit a 120 no matter what. It's the 200's (and certain other "off" size fans like a 192mm I saw once) where you'll have a problem. Only NZXT fans will fit in those 200mm slots...unless you want to do some case modding.

So, to answer your question a little more directly, yes, a different brand 140mm will fit your case. No, a different brand 200mm will not fit IF YOU INTEND ON USING THE PROVIDED ATTACHMENT HOLES. I'll tell you this though...those 200mm fans are quiet, move a lot of air, and fit well. BUT, if you are thinking of using the LEDs on the top fans, I would recommend against it, unless you intend on looking straight down into the mesh the entire time. VERY dim. As a side fan, the 200mm's LED would be fine. For up top, I used NZXT's 2 meter sleeved LED kits. If you take your time, consider placement, etc, you'll find that you can light up quite a bit with those little guys. I ran up routing mine straight up the back of the case and through a hole into the space above the fans, then I attached them to the plastic top so the lights aren't visible but their glow is still seen easily.

Weatherlite is correct. The 200mm fans were made before any kind of industry "standard" for that size was used, so unfortunately they don't really conform with whatever else is out there. I would expect revisions of this in the future, though, when I cannot say.

I think I could go w/ the LED fan on the side - that's the side facing my desk, so it'll be pretty nice.

I also have a question about color scheme.

Components:
Black NZXT Phantom
MSI 870-G45
Corsair Vengeance, Blue
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti

What color LEDs do you think I should go with? I'm thinking blue on the top (included), green side fan, and then green LEDs inside the case (the light strip). Thoughts?

Also, can you recommend good 140mm case fans? I really like the Be Quiet 140mm fan, but it doesn't ship to the U.S. and no one on eBay sells it for a somewhat-reasonable price. I think I'd like a pretty discreet, non-LED, black (which is why the NZXT FN doesn't work :/ ), high airflow (around 60/66 CFM) and low noise (preferably 20dBA to 28dBA). I'm also wondering what a "dBA" really amounts to? Is 25dBA pretty much silent? What does 30dBA or 40dBA sound like?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back