• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher FSB or tighter RAM timings??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pro Noob

Disabled
Which would be better (higher performance):

CPU @ 425 x 8 (3.4Ghz), FSB @ 1700 Mhz, RAM @ 850 Mhz (4-4-4-15 2T)

OR

CPU @ 486 x 7 (3.4Ghz), FSB @ 1944 Mhz, RAM @ 972 Mhz (5-7-7-22 2T)

OR

CPU @ 454 x 7.5 (3.4Ghz), FSB @ 1816 Mhz, RAM @ 910 Mhz (5-5-5-18 2T) - Currently at this since it appears to be the "best of both worlds". Is my logic correct?

Is the upgrade in FSB and RAM frequency worth the downgrade in RAM timings? I seem stable on all settings. Which option will give me better overall performance...or would there be no noticeable difference?

Thanks! :confused:

Last edited:
definitely go for the highest FSB possible, as your whole computer performance will increase, but you will need higher voltage for higher FSB. using the multi of 8x will give you the easier oc of the three choices you made. running higher FSB also means your ram is running faster, so why not?

you can't tell between 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15 in real life, so don't worry about them. if you're not sure if your ram is running faster at 972mhz or 910mhz at their respective timings, use a program like Sandra to benchmark it.

FSB > Timings

Get your FSB where you want it, then tweak your RAM (using dividers/timings/vdimm) as tight as possible.

Back