• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with attaching fan to Ultra 120 Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
FedEx delivered my new fans today. Got 4 low speed Yate Loons for case fans and a Scythe Kama 120mm (here) to stick on the Ultra 120. I've already cut the poles out of the middle of the fan so the clips would fit.

I can't figure out how to place the clips to hold the fan to the heatsink, though :confused::confused::confused:

Pics of heatsink are at here. Since the top of the heatpipes are layed out the same on each side (rather than opposite to make it symmetrical), I can fit one clip in on one side, but the clip on the other side doesn't match and I can't figure out how to make it fit properly so it holds the fan on on the other side. Anybody with same HS explain how you attach the fan on both sides?

EDIT:
Now thinking I may be stupid... I was attempting to use the holes next to each heatpipe. I should be looking for a hole in the middle of each side on the edge of the heatsink I think... :bang head

Last edited:
If they are the Yate Loon's with the closed corners, it won't work. If they are open, here you go:

IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg

The best way to do it is with 4 zipties :D. This is what I have since I have the closed corner YL low speed fans.

IMG_0207.jpg

I'm curious, I just got my U-120E the other day and I'm wondering about the mounting. My mount is 90 degrees different from Thideras's picture above. Do the heat pipes still work as effectively in that position or should I rotate my heat sink?

I'm curious, I just got my U-120E the other day and I'm wondering about the mounting. My mount is 90 degrees different from Thideras's picture above. Do the heat pipes still work as effectively in that position or should I rotate my heat sink?
Yes, they will because they have wicks in them.

Yes, they will because they have wicks in them.

Yes direction doesn't matter? I don't see how a wick would make a difference, I always thought that there was a fluid inside with a low boiling point that heats up and evaporates to a cooler spot where it then re-condenses into a liquid. If my interpretation is correct, how would a wick facilitate this?

Yes direction doesn't matter? I don't see how a wick would make a difference, I always thought that there was a fluid inside with a low boiling point that heats up and evaporates to a cooler spot where it then re-condenses into a liquid. If my interpretation is correct, how would a wick facilitate this?
It moves the condensed fluid to the "warm" side of the tube ;)

Well there's actually a load of tiny cooling pixies living in there and then carry the heat up to the top .. :beer: ..

Alright, I put the clips in the right place this time :beer:

Scythe 120mm fan on Ultra 120 Extreme with the corner posts removed (after a bandsaw cut on either side, pliers popped 'em right out):

ultra120extremescythe.jpg

My system now, with the Scythe and three low-speed Yate Loons (2 front, 1 back). Hard drive noise of uploading the pics is louder than fans, now :D

359comp.jpg

Yes, I know the pictures are huge. That's why I host them on my unmetered bandwidth webhost :)
Yes, I know I have a huge mess of cables down near the bottom front. It's an Antec 900, though, not much I can do about it.

Maybe the hi-res pic of the clip will help others who have tried (like me) to put to wire clip into the holes on top by each heatpipe.

Now folding at 98% CPU usage with CoreTemp showing ~47C to Tj max.

Last edited:
There's lots you can do about the cable mess. I know, I've pretty much done it all with this case. The modular PSU's in this case cause much more cable mess than is needed IMO. There's way too many cables coming out of way too many places to properly route. If you use a conventional PSU and bundle the cables, then make one 2" hole in the back plate you can route the whole mess to the back nice and neat. Then make some smaller holes near the edge of the mobo to route in the power and data cables as needed and you can make a VERY neat case:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5900/img0268di0ub3.jpg
Even with WC, there is not alot of mess:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9421/img0372ku7.jpg
The mess:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7928/img0354au5.jpg

~$30 for a good hole saw. Assuming you have a drill.

I did a fairly nice job routing cables behind the mobo tray in my 900 and I didn't even have to mod the case. There is room back there, you just need to finagle some stuff and maybe use a bit of tape :p

But does the side panel fit over all that?

Of course it does, it's taped and tied flat against the backplane.

I did a fairly nice job routing cables behind the mobo tray in my 900 and I didn't even have to mod the case. There is room back there, you just need to finagle some stuff and maybe use a bit of tape :p

Yes, that's fairly easy IF you got a 900 with the holes pre cut. The original ones did not.

Last edited:
No fair, the new ones come pre-holed?!

One more thing. The Scythe fan is running at <400RPM at boot. This results in a BIOS warning every boot that I have to press F1 to continue on, due to low fan speed. Any way I can permanently disable the warning?

Last edited:
No fair, the new ones come pre-holed?!

One more thing. The Scythe fan is running at <400RPM at boot. This results in a BIOS warning every boot that I have to press F1 to continue on, due to low fan speed. Any way I can permanently disable the warning?

There should be a setting in the bios to stop this message. Either lower the warning RPM or turn off the warning messages all together.

Axis

Back