• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tearing down my loop - thanks iodine!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I've used iodine as a disinfectant in my loop in the past, and it's worked fine. I've always used the medical kind though, with just a few drops of the brown liquid per gallon.

Last time around I didn't have any of that handy, but I had the water purifier tablet form. Unfortunately, I learned over a couple of weeks that it doesn't stay in solution, and it left a brownish-orangeish film on the inside of all of my tubing. Bummer. The fluid is still crystal clear, though!

Needless to say, I'm tearing down the loop and replacing the tubing, which was getting old and stiff anyway after...what, three years? I'll post some picks of what the iodine did if anyone's interested.

Vinegar is a good place to start for cleaning everything out, so that's what I'll do. Any other suggestions for cleaning out parts that haven't been cleaned in a good long while?

^ His description of cleaning the block is helpful, since my MCW6002 is one solid piece. I also learned that Conumdrum has hairy arms. :)

Back