• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2100 overclocking - results and questions.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caliguy

Registered
This has been my first pc building and overclocking experience and it I would do it again.
So far I have overclocked my week 49 XP2100 (on an Asus A7N8X Dlx board) to 2210MHz (170x13 @ 1.80v). I ran prime95 torture test for around 18hrs and no probems, I have also run 3DMark2001 and 2003 without issues.

bios.JPG

WCUID2.JPG

I would like to get at least over 2400MHz.

Now for the question:

1. Looking at my bios pic, have I done everything right so far? Is there anything I should change if I was going to leave it at this speed?
2. What should I change to overclock higher? I tried 175 fsb with 1.825v and got "error" result in prime.

Again, I am new and still not very familiar with overclocking, any help is appreciated.

Thank you all,
Cali

everthin looks fine

bump the voltage to 1.85v which should be fine for air cooling

on your ram timings, lower them to get better performance... what type of ram you have?

atleast change the "7" to "6" as no ram uses "7" at 170mhz only....

if you have ddr 3200 than you can easily do 5-2-2-2 and get a substancial performance boost

oh yeah:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

if you have ddr 3200 than you can easily do 5-2-2-2 and get a substancial performance boost

oh yeah:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!! [/B]

Agree you should set the ram timming to 5 2 2 2.0 to get better proformance . I would try to run it @ something like 12.5 x 188 = 2350 you may have to up the vcore alittle but your ram should run @ atleast 190 without having to do any mobo mod's . If you can change the x's then i would suggest upping the fsb and lowering the x's to get better proformance.

Thanx for your replies:

Emerica:
I am using CORSAIR XMS 3200C2PT (2x215)

I am also using watercooling (Koolance PC2 601 case)

I will try the ram settings you recommended.

jonspd:
Vcore will only go up to 1.85v on my board, this is with the latest bios (1002).

Thanx,
Cali

caliguy said:
Thanx for your replies:

Emerica:
I am using CORSAIR XMS 3200C2PT (2x215)

I am also using watercooling (Koolance PC2 601 case)

I will try the ram settings you recommended.

jonspd:
Vcore will only go up to 1.85v on my board, this is with the latest bios (1002).

Thanx,
Cali

Did that bios come on the board or did you have to flash it?

The reason I'm asking is my board is waiting for pickup tomorrow and I was just wondering...

I hope nobody minds if I ask some questions in here as well. I have the same setup.

Is there any rule of thumb as to how much you should set the voltage core at for x overclock?

I get a memory faillure at 166 fsb and a windows GPO at 160 fsb. I am doing okay at 155 x 13 right now. Any ideas on what to change? How about the memory voltage? Should we have to raise that?

Thanks.,

quote:

"Did that bios come on the board or did you have to flash it?"

The board came with 1001G, and I flashed it to 1002.
I would definately flash to 1002 if you get the board, it takes care of some issues, nothing major and better overclocking options.

Hope that helps,
Cali

guys, he didn't have his ram set at 7-3-3-2.5...he had it set at "Aggressive" which would certainly be the fastest setting. If he changes "Agrressive" to "User Define" he would be able to change the numbers you see that are greyed out :rolleyes:

"guys, he didn't have his ram set at 7-3-3-2.5...he had it set at "Aggressive" which would certainly be the fastest setting. If he changes "Agrressive" to "User Define" he would be able to change the numbers you see that are greyed out "

I was unsure what settings I should use for the ram, so i set it to "aggrressive" assuming those would be better than default ram settings.
I have now changed them to 5-2-2-2.

Cali

caliguy said:
quote:

"Did that bios come on the board or did you have to flash it?"

The board came with 1001G, and I flashed it to 1002.
I would definately flash to 1002 if you get the board, it takes care of some issues, nothing major and better overclocking options.

Hope that helps,
Cali

i wish i can flash my bios i need a #%$%$% floppy drive

"i wish i can flash my bios i need a #%$%$% floppy drive"

LOL :)
I built my system without a floppy too, but then I decided I needed to update the bios, so I put a #%$%$% floppy drive in. I am glad that I did, who knows when we need those #%$%$% things.

Cali

No I'm fairly certain the greyed out numbers are what the settings are at. They are on my epox ep-8rda at least. I set settings to optimal they are grey big numbers, agressive and they are grey slightly lower numbers, tubo and they are grey numbers slightly lower again.

caliguy said:
"i wish i can flash my bios i need a #%$%$% floppy drive"

LOL :)
I built my system without a floppy too, but then I decided I needed to update the bios, so I put a #%$%$% floppy drive in. I am glad that I did, who knows when we need those #%$%$% things.

Cali

yea i wish i had a workin floppy drive... i have atleast 4 or 5 floppy drives that belong in the trash.... stupid technology y cant we just update the bios wit a cd instead of these out dated pieces of #%$%$% isht.. watch now there gonna require us to use the 5 1/4 :mad: :mad: :mad:

What settings do you recommend for AGP aperture (128, 256 or 512) I am using 2x512 Corsair XMS DDR400?

Also, how should I test what ram settings are working best for me (set at 5-2-2-2 now)?
How do I test which AGP aperture setting works best?

Thanx,
Cali

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but as for AGP aperature, I've been told that you set that at twice what your AGP card has for memory (ie. your Radeon 9700 Pro has 128MB so you set aperature at 256MB).

Woohoooo....................:D

Got it up to 2280.16MHz using [email protected].
Prime95 torture test is running fine for an hour now and I ran 3DMark2001 while running torture test and everything was fine.

From what I understand I should now run prime95 torture test for over 12hrs to burn in again and then try upping again, correct??

Cali

That's what I do with Prime95 after I have found my max overclock.

Your ram can do over 200MHz fsb, so if you want the maximum increase in performance lower your multiplier to 11 or so and see how high a fsb your board can do. You may get 200 x 11 or 11.5.

By the way, nice system!

pelikan said:
Your ram can do over 200MHz fsb, so if you want the maximum increase in performance lower your multiplier to 11 or so and see how high a fsb your board can do. You may get 200 x 11 or 11.5.

Tried 200x11/11.5 and system won't boot.

I am now running Prime95 torture test on 2303.44MHz (177*13).
Why would these settings be negative versus getting lower MHz at higher fsb and lower multiplier?

eg: 200x11=2200 or 177x13=2303.44

Which would be better performance for my setup.

Cali

ps: "By the way, nice system!" Thanx pelikan

Back