• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Charger problems! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gjla

Registered
My laptop charger keeps on disconnecting (electrically) from my computer, even though it is plugged in.

My acer has a power button, which has a blue dash to indicate that it is on, a sleep/on indicater light, and a charger light. When my computer is on, the sleep/on indicatar is blue and so is the power light button. My charger light is orange (telling me it is charging)

Recently, they all at the same time for the same amount of time flash, on and then off (the colour is the same (orange stays orange, blue stays....). This flashing isn't my problem at all, it is when this flashing happens my charger has disconnected! I am 100% that it is not just a computer error saying the charger isn't plugged in when it is actually charging, it is actually losing charge.
My laptop is an acer 5742.

The charger is a LITEON.
The model is Pa-1650-22, it is an AC Adapter
The input is 100-240V~1.6A, 50-60ghz,
The output is 19V ------(Solid line)__ __ __ (broken line, put the broken line directly underneath the solid line), 3.42A 65W.

I have no idea which information is related to my problem, so I have put all the info I think is obviously necessary.

Also, (sorry for going offtopic) does having your charger constantly in your laptop reduce the charge of the laptop when it is not plugged in?

Thanks!

Sounds like a bad solder joint. Open the computer op and check the integrity of connections between the connector and the plug.

Sounds like a bad solder joint. Open the computer op and check the integrity of connections between the connector and the plug.
Side note, if you aren't familiar with safe handling of sensitive electronic components. Read up on it first, if you're not properly grounded while handling your computer you can ruin components without even coming into direct contact with them by ESD.

Back