• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me shut it up - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samtb13

So just the other day I completed my first build. It was very budget conscious...here is what I got:

Case - NZXT Source 210 Elite White
MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970
CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 565 Callisto 3.4GHz
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
PSU - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W
HD - (using hard drive from old computer)

My question is, is there any possible way to run my power supply any quieter? This thing is twice as loud as my old HP setup and is even noticeable when I'm on my office phone!

I added a NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller which is nice for all the other fans but still this PSU is noisy as can be.

I actually had that specific PSU fail on me, just so you know. Admittedly I was putting a significantly higher load on it than you are, but I wouldn't add a discreet GPU that requires more than one PCIe power connector.

Beyond that, the PSU really shouldn't be noisy, mine was very quiet.

If possible I would attempt an RMA for refund and grab a Corsair 430w unit. If not possible, I'd RMA it for a replacement. At zero load it shouldn't be loud! Are you 100% sure it is the PSU?

You would probably be better of replacing the power supply. RAIDMAX is complete junk. It is going to give you more headaches and will probably take out other hardware when it dies.

Are you 100% sure it is the PSU?

I am pretty sure because with my fan controller I can turn all fans off and I still get the noise. I was considering turning my PSU over so that the fan was facing up and maybe that would quiet it down? Thanks for the feedback ;)

Flipping it shouldn't make the fan louder/quieter, unless it is being blocked in one orientation.

Regardless, I stand firmly by my suggestion to get rid of it.

Could my fan be upside down in the power supply? Should PSU fan be taking in air or pushing air out of the unit?

The fan should be pushing air into the unit.
Some fans don't appreciate facing downward, flipping the PSU may help the noise.

Back