• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Windows Showdown: 8 Operating Systems in 6 Benchmarks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
Windows Showdown: 8 Operating Systems in 6 Benchmarks
by Gautam

Since its debut, Windows Vista has taken nothing but flak from almost every demographic one could think of. Everyone from the casual user looking to browse the web and type up a few reports to the benchmark fanatic obsessed with squeezing all the speed he or she could is likely to complain about Vista being bloated and slow. Windows 7
on the other hand has been hailed as being noticeably better performing, and supposedly as light as XP. And what about XP? How do they really stack up to one another? The examination of these questions follows.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
sno.lcn

This is a superb article. He did a ton of work on it. Well worth a read for any bencher worth their salt. Thanks Gautam!

Very good article ! Interesting outcome on some of the findings . Thx for the heads up . ;)

This is a GREAT article. Especially for overclockers who trim their OS's. Awesome work!

I would love to have seen a stock vs. stock OS comparison as that is what most people (non serious benchers) run.

Great article. I'm not entirely surprised, but it's nice to see the findings on "paper". Very well done :^)

I have a few questions.

Firstly: how do they perform if you strip them all down to the bare minimum. I understand why you chose to keep them all on an even keel for this article but I think there would be some value in doing the tests again with each OS stripped down as much as possible.

Secondly: How do Vista and Vista SP1 compare?

Thirdly: Would it be worth seeing how XP/XPSP1/XPSP2/XPSP3 compare?

A very interesting article, which also raises some questions :)

Firstly: how do they perform if you strip them all down to the bare minimum. I understand why you chose to keep them all on an even keel for this article but I think there would be some value in doing the tests again with each OS stripped down as much as possible.
He did this, didn't he?

Excellent work Gautam. World's definitive benchmark article.

He did this, didn't he?
I thought the same thing...:chair:

However I believe he wanted a COMPLETELY stripped down OS as opposed to the version he has. I will hope he clarifies soon.

Personally, I would have rather seen this run at all stock since thats how 99% of people here run their OS's. :D

Very Nice Guatam! I can't help but wonder how 2008 R2 would fair...??? Isn't R2 based on a different kernel?

Personally, I would have rather seen this run at all stock since thats how 99% of people here run their OS's. :D

Go to google and search for Windows benchmarks - you'll see plenty of places doing stock windows comparisons. ;)

Taking out all the extra garbage that runs on the OS, and actually evaluating each release on an even scale, performed by someone who knows what they are doing - that hasn't been done anywhere else. (Except maybe on xtremesystems, assuming he might have released his stuff over there too) ;)

I have thanks. But that content is not here, which is was my point. Regardless, its a stellar article for its target demographic.

I was just messing with you bud, and I agree it wouldn't hurt to have someone here doing the stock tests that we can trust. ;)

I was just messing with you bud, and I agree it wouldn't hurt to have someone here doing the stock tests that we can trust. ;)
I know, all good, never thought otherwise :D.

And that was my other thought (stock tests here we can TRUST!).

These guys have A LOT to offer and its wonderful to see them even more involved!!! W00t!

Thanks guys. :)
I have a few questions.

Secondly: How do Vista and Vista SP1 compare?

Thirdly: Would it be worth seeing how XP/XPSP1/XPSP2/XPSP3 compare?

A very interesting article, which also raises some questions :)
If I went any lower it would be at the point where they start acting goofy. Let me put it this way, I can already fit all my OSes on CD's (not DVD's) and installation takes about 8 minutes tops.

Not only that IMHO "stripping" is overrated anyways. I don't think disabling services or removing components changes how an OS scores much anyways. I made them all even though just for the sake of being thorough. Vista without SP1 is wrought with issues especially with a Crossfire setup like I used, so it wouldn't quite be right to try without it. And that along with your 3rd question can also be answered like this. 3DMark06 takes almost 9 minutes to run all by itself. Then multiply that by 3 and you're easily surpassing 30 minutes per operating system per benchmark. I think you know where I'm going with this. :p

Very Nice Guatam! I can't help but wonder how 2008 R2 would fair...??? Isn't R2 based on a different kernel?
2008 R2 is based on 7. I'm thinking of giving it a whirl as well, but we can probably expect the difference between 2008 R2 and 7 to be similar to that between 2008 and Vista (in other words, negligible)

Back